Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection Indoor Range.

Hearing Protection Indoor Range.

So many choices of hearing protection. Was looking at the 3M Pelitor Tactical Sportor should I go with non electronic Ultimate 10 hearing protection? Or am I just to totally out in left field?

Thanks

CGN Regular
    I've always used a cheap $20 pair of peltor earmuffs that I have for work. Depending on what I'm shooting Sometimes I double up and use foam earplugs as well. No point spending the extra on electronic hearing protection unless its something you really feel you want.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    if your shooting outdoors with friends, the electronic ones are awesome. No need to touch them so you can chat between shoots. if your in a lane indoors by yourself, the cheap ones are great for that as your chatting is likely more limited.

The following is a repost, but seems appropriate...

I have the Peltor Tactical Sport. They work pretty good, but I was never quite happy with the seal. The other day at the range someone was blasting away with a .44mag and it was just too much for my muffs. After that I started doing some research. There are a number of options out there, depending on how much you want to spend. Reading many reviews of different hearing protection, I found that many people like the gel ear cups better. They seemed to give a better fit and overall are supposed to make a good muff great. Well, the cost of replacing the foam cups with gel ones for my Peltors was only $45 so I ordered some. All I can say is WHY WHY WHY don't they just include these? The difference is incredible. They even form a seal around my glasses arms. I haven't been to the range yet as they just came in this evening. I hope to get out early next week to try them out. I have a feeling I will be happy.

Now, during all my research, I also starting thinking about electronic earplugs. I obsessed with researching various types and finally decided I would give a pair of these a try. The ones I went with are the Etymotic EB15-LE. They have a NRR rating of 25 while still providing amplification to hear voice or other sounds. I can also use these on a daily basis to help with my existing hearing loss. They are very small and fit right in the ear canal, so you can easily double up with muffs as well. They are a little expensive - $399USD, but I place a high value on what hearing I have left. I hope to have those in a few days.

If you are going for electronic hearing protection it is a good idea to understand the technology. NRR ratings are not always the best gauge. MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X ($250-375CDN) electronic earmuffs have an NRR rating of 18, but based on research this is actually closer to 28. It all depends on the test method and scale used. By the way, these will be my next earmuffs. Other things you have to consider is what kind of suppression are they providing. The two methods are clipping and compression. Clipping means that the electronics simply shutdown at a certain decibel level turning the earmuffs into passive protection. The circuitry has to start up again to regain the electronic advantages. This can be frustrating as conversation is next to impossible with gunfire happening. The other method is compression. This is where sound is not cut off completely, but reduced to a manageable level. You will still hear gunshots, but they will not be at a dangerous level. This means that you will still hear everything else that is going on at the same time - including range commands. This is a more expensive technology but well worth it. The Peltor Tactical Sport and Tactical Pro as well as the MSA earmuffs use compression. The Peltor 6S uses clipping.

For me, hearing protection is VERY important. Once you loose your hearing, it does not come back. Hearing loss is cumulative so every time you go to the range with inferior protection, you are forever losing some of your hearing.

Once I have a chance, I'll review the new upgrades to my hearing protection gear.

Take care of your ears. Don't cheap out.

UPDATE:
    =====
    I took my Peltor muffs with the gel cups along with my EB-15's to the range the other day. I doubled up and together they work awesome! The gel cups make a HUGE difference. The Peltor's alone are ok if there are only a few people shooting indoors. The EB-15's alone are good for .22 indoors, but I would put muffs over them for anything larger. The EB-15's on their own outdoors are good when tested with my 9mm and AR15. The Peltor's are good outdoors too but a lot more bulky to deal with.

For anything indoors, you should be doubling up.

Well, the cost of replacing the foam cups with gel ones for my Peltors was only $45

can you tell me where you ordered these from,, i find em on ebay but for double that price.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Indoors, I double up with some foam or my EarPro along with my regular muffs.
    CSSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhand View Post
    Well, the cost of replacing the foam cups with gel ones for my Peltors was only $45

can you tell me where you ordered these from,, i find em on ebay but for double that price.
    srstactical.ca

They are located in Calgary. VERY fast shipping and great to deal with.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 09outlander's Avatar
    Peltor electronic muffs are fine for me indoors unless a 460 is 500 is being shot, then I need to double up with plugs.
    Come for the guns, stay for the tinfoil
    Member: CSSA

Dunnville Hunters and Anglers, we are accepting new members
    www.dunnvillehuntersandanglers.ca

CGN Regular
    Just got back from the range on the weekend with my caldwell e-max earmuffs. Will need to bring some foam earplugs to use in addition to the muffs. The microphone feature was great, would cut off everytime shot was fired, but my ears are still ringing even with 23 NRR.

BANNED
    Any ear defenders will do. Even the really cheap foam plugs. There's no need to spend hundreds on electronics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast