Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I bring back over the boarder myself ?

CGN Regular
    Ah yes, didn't say that in your post so I was like HUH?! Since when?

Yes, getting caught at the border by the US side of things with ammo would end up in a bad situation. But to be honest, I cross the border by land a few times a year, and on the return trip, I have never seen any US customs. I have only ever seen US customs people in the lines when heading into the US. But heading back to Canada, if any border police type people come up to your vehicle in the line, it's CDN. They have a chat and they may "randomly select" your vehicle for a search. So I'm not exactly sure how the US would enforce these rules with land border crossings. But not worth the risk anyways even with such low odds of getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    Ah yes, didn't say that in your post so I was like HUH?! Since when?

Yes, getting caught at the border by the US side of things with ammo would end up in a bad situation. But to be honest, I cross the border by land a few times a year, and on the return trip, I have never seen any US customs. I have only ever seen US customs people in the lines when heading into the US. But heading back to Canada, if any border police type people come up to your vehicle in the line, it's CDN. They have a chat and they may "randomly select" your vehicle for a search. So I'm not exactly sure how the US would enforce these rules with land border crossings. But not worth the risk anyways even with such low odds of getting caught.

US Customs and Border do export checks every day. Because you havent seen them at your crossing means nothing, they do it. They enforce them by setting up check points before you hit Canadian soil and use U.S. Laws. in fact, Homeland Security will set up check points on an immigration basis away from the border crossing and can, with evidence I presume, search your vehicle inland also. Nothing to do with Canada, other than you attempting to export controlled goods without authorization. Not such "low odds" from what i've seen.
    Never tell me the odds

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    I've been checked by homeland security twice before I got to the CDN side. Once in Montana, and once in Idaho. Both times there were large gun shows in nearby towns - which I didn't attend - but the questions were specific to guns, ammo, and gun parts.

My experience is not unique - it happens quite frequently out this way.

CGN Regular
    Wow, interesting. Good to know. I cross the border into the US from Ontario at multiple locations, at least 2-3 times a year, and have so for years, and just have never experienced it myself so I assumed it didn't happen. Looks like it does out in the prairies and Atlantic Canada though.

Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    You're missing the point. Just because something 'made it' into Canada does not automatically mean it was allowed to leave the US. CBSA enforces Canadian law.
    I didn't miss the point and I understand that the CBSA enforces Canadian law. I was sent these items from a company that is not a registered exporter. Where I may have gone wrong was to assume that this company wouldn't put their business in jeopardy by exporting illegal items and by extension assumed it would be acceptable for me as an individual.

To the OP: Again, the sentiment remains the same. Very little is allowed and as you can see nothing is clear-cut.

well yes that indeed does suck, i guess i will pay the prices that are up here in canada then.
    thanks guys.

Does anyone know if I can have wax bullets shipped to me in Canada? As well, as casings for the 209 shot shells?
    Might be a problem for casings.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ed Smurf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    You are more than welcome to purchase, safely store/use the ammo from the US in the US, it just cannot leave the US. Thus there is absolutely nothing wrong with "getting caught" with "even ONE" or a million rounds of ammo on the US side (as long as you are there for shooting reasons like a competition, hunting, taking a training course, etc), you just can't get caught by the US LEO/Customs side of things taking it out of the US. Since you only encounter CDN customs on the way back if by land crossing, that is not likely. I'm far from advocating anything illegal by any means, but to say "getting caught with even ONE round of ammo on the US side, and you will be in a HUGE world of hurt" is very misleading.
    I went hunting in Pennsylvania and brought my ammo with me. I brought what was left back....that's illegal? Do they check lot numbers too? Is this a recent regulation, or was it in force for decades?
    Last edited by Ed Smurf; 11-17-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added sntence.
    No wood......No good

I was coming back to Canada and while in the line up approximately 100 feet from the border two US border officers walked up to my truck and while I was talking to one the other went to open my passenger door and it was locked. Buddy says can you unlock the doors. I complied without hesitation and buddy went through the passenger side while other buddy continued to ask questions. When they were done I asked buddy if he would like me to step out of the truck so you can look through the drivers side. He just said no and have a nice day. They never asked for consent to search, They just went ahead and searched.
    I ride a m/c. If you TEXT, drive and injure or kill me. Well my dad says life is not worth living. I don't know if that means him or you.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    I was coming back to Canada and while in the line up approximately 100 feet from the border two US border officers walked up to my truck and while I was talking to one the other went to open my passenger door and it was locked. Buddy says can you unlock the doors. I complied without hesitation and buddy went through the passenger side while other buddy continued to ask questions. When they were done I asked buddy if he would like me to step out of the truck so you can look through the drivers side. He just said no and have a nice day. They never asked for consent to search, They just went ahead and searched.
    WTF? What border crossing was this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast