Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I bring back over the boarder myself ?

What can I bring back over the boarder myself ?

Ok so from what I have reAd is that you can't bring a fully functional gun back to Canada from the states on your own has to be threw a dealer. Right ?
    So what can I bring back ?
    I was looking at a ATI archangel 10/22 kit , it's no part of the mechanical gun workings just a stock and some furnarure. So would that be ok ?

How about ammo? Thought we where allowed to bring certain stuff back.
    But the states legally isn't allowed to sell to a non American ? But what if they did ? We take it to the boarder ( Canadian side ) and it would be ok ?

So is any of that true. Been trying to Google it and now I have reAd so much that it isn't making sence now hahaha maybe cuz it's 3am Right now ?

Super Moderator
    The issue is export from the US.
    Gun parts, like the stock you want, may be exported by a licenced exporter, a US business.
    Cross border shopping for guns, gun parts, ammunition, components is a non-starter.

Lots of threads on this here. Just run a search using border and change the time limit beyond two weeks in the search parameters.

But you really can't bring much back. No guns, no ammo, and no reloading components. Reloading tools ok. No optics. Sucks, but it's US law. It's not an importing into Canada issue, it's an exporting from the US issue.
    "With the elimination of the penny, and rounding down my two cents, my opinion is officially worthless."

OK: books. Tools, cleaning supplies, slings, scope rings and mounts, scope/optic covers, batteries, shirts and hats.

Not OK: firearm parts including stocks, grips, sights, pins, screws, springs, triggers and other internal parts, magazines and magazine parts, lasers, most optics.

It sucks and it didn't used to be that way but there it is.
    Fusilier
    Webmaster for:
    IPSC NS - www.ipscns.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
    Not OK: firearm parts including stocks, grips, sights, pins, screws, springs, triggers and other internal parts, magazines and magazine parts, lasers, most optics.
    Not entirely true. I've had several iron sights (without tritium) sent to me. My last sight shipment (Tech Sights for a Marlin 795) was inspected by the CBSA and approved.

To the OP: The general sentiment is correct, not much can be brought back.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    Not entirely true. I've had several iron sights (without tritium) sent to me. My last sight shipment (Tech Sights for a Marlin 795) was inspected by the CBSA and approved.

To the OP: The general sentiment is correct, not much can be brought back.
    You're missing the point. Just because something 'made it' into Canada does not automatically mean it was allowed to leave the US. CBSA enforces Canadian law.

If a registered exporter shipped it from the US, many parts are fine. See Brownells. The fact that THEY can export it legally does not mean that YOU as an individual are allowed.

Again just because some individual in the US ships you something and it makes it into Canada does not mean it was legal. If you showed up at the Canadian side of the border with 5000 rounds of ammo, they'd charge you tax and be on your way. But getting caught with even ONE round of ammo on the US side, and you will be in a HUGE world of hurt.

BANNED
    There's a whole section on importing/exporting on the Legalese forum.
    Not ALL firearm parts are restricted for export by the U.S. government. Those parts require an export permit from the U.S. Dept. of State. However, as mentioned, the seller and manufacturer must have a U.S. Dept. of Commerce exporter's licence too.
    The only time you can have a firearm and ammo in your possession, Stateside, as a non-immigrating alien, is if you're there to hunt or shoot in a match and have an ATF Form 6. No firearms or ammo at all, otherwise. Any ammo you take in must be fired or come back with you. You can buy ammo while there(That'd be a box or whatever for hunting or match shooting.), but you cannot bring any of it back.
    The 5,000 rounds, for your personal use only, thing is Canadian. You still cannot have any ammo in your possession other than for the above.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    There's a whole section on importing/exporting on the Legalese forum.
    Not ALL firearm parts are restricted for export by the U.S. government. Those parts require an export permit from the U.S. Dept. of State. However, as mentioned, the seller and manufacturer must have a U.S. Dept. of Commerce exporter's licence too.
    The only time you can have a firearm and ammo in your possession, Stateside, as a non-immigrating alien, is if you're there to hunt or shoot in a match and have an ATF Form 6. No firearms or ammo at all, otherwise. Any ammo you take in must be fired or come back with you. You can buy ammo while there(That'd be a box or whatever for hunting or match shooting.), but you cannot bring any of it back.
    The 5,000 rounds, for your personal use only, thing is Canadian. You still cannot have any ammo in your possession other than for the above.

State laws dictate the reason you may enter the USA with a firearm as a non resident. Some states allow a non resident to conceal carry with a proper ATF form, for example Alaska. But from my reading, mainly hunting and competition would allow entry with a firearm. Still true regarding exporting though, buy the ammo (even for protection in certain states) and shoot it there or leave it behind.
    Never tell me the odds

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    You're missing the point. Just because something 'made it' into Canada does not automatically mean it was allowed to leave the US. CBSA enforces Canadian law.

If a registered exporter shipped it from the US, many parts are fine. See Brownells. The fact that THEY can export it legally does not mean that YOU as an individual are allowed.

Again just because some individual in the US ships you something and it makes it into Canada does not mean it was legal. If you showed up at the Canadian side of the border with 5000 rounds of ammo, they'd charge you tax and be on your way. But getting caught with even ONE round of ammo on the US side, and you will be in a HUGE world of hurt.
    You are more than welcome to purchase, safely store/use the ammo from the US in the US, it just cannot leave the US. Thus there is absolutely nothing wrong with "getting caught" with "even ONE" or a million rounds of ammo on the US side (as long as you are there for shooting reasons like a competition, hunting, taking a training course, etc), you just can't get caught by the US LEO/Customs side of things taking it out of the US. Since you only encounter CDN customs on the way back if by land crossing, that is not likely. I'm far from advocating anything illegal by any means, but to say "getting caught with even ONE round of ammo on the US side, and you will be in a HUGE world of hurt" is very misleading.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    You are more than welcome to purchase, safely store/use the ammo from the US in the US, it just cannot leave the US. Thus there is absolutely nothing wrong with "getting caught" with "even ONE" or a million rounds of ammo on the US side (as long as you are there for shooting reasons like a competition, hunting, taking a training course, etc), you just can't get caught by the US LEO/Customs side of things taking it out of the US. Since you only encounter CDN customs on the way back if by land crossing, that is not likely. I'm far from advocating anything illegal by any means, but to say "getting caught with even ONE round of ammo on the US side, and you will be in a HUGE world of hurt" is very misleading.
    Sorry I thought it was clear I meant getting caught LEAVING the US side with ammo. Like on of the check stops on the US side before getting to Canada customs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast