Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I bring back over the boarder myself ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Smurf View Post
    I went hunting in Pennsylvania and brought my ammo with me. I brought what was left back....that's illegal? Do they check lot numbers too? Is this a recent regulation, or was it in force for decades?
    Yes that was illegal. You cannot legally export ammunition or ammo components out of the US without an export license. This is all under US ITAR regs. It has not been in force for decades.
    Fusilier
    Webmaster for:
    IPSC NS - www.ipscns.ca

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
    Yes that was illegal. You cannot legally export ammunition or ammo components out of the US without an export license. This is all under US ITAR regs. It has not been in force for decades.
    Not quite. You are allowed to bring back unused ammo that was brought in with you. It was 'temporarily imported'. Your form 6NIA is clear about that. However - you can not bring back ANY ammo that didn't come in with you. By your logic, you'd need to abandon any firearms you legally brought into the US, since you don't have the proper export permits to export firearms from the US back into Canada.

Your Form 6NIA needs to list brand, type, and quantity of any ammo brought in. No, they don't check lot numbers.

I pass the border recently and the Canadian border agent ask his ton of questions, ... and if I brought guns we me, I ask if I could , he sais yes, you just declare your firearm here, you leave it here and ask Mara-whatever to register it and everything is ti gi doo !!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDan View Post
    I pass the border recently and the Canadian border agent ask his ton of questions, ... and if I brought guns we me, I ask if I could , he sais yes, you just declare your firearm here, you leave it here and ask Mara-whatever to register it and everything is ti gi doo !!!
    Another person missing the point. Sure you can import a firearm into Canada. You can't EXPORT it from the USA. That's the issue. With allllll things firearms related... import into Canada, usually fine... export out of USA, usually a BIG no-no.

Screw it, lol.
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 11-22-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    I was coming back to Canada and while in the line up approximately 100 feet from the border two US border officers walked up to my truck and while I was talking to one the other went to open my passenger door and it was locked. Buddy says can you unlock the doors. I complied without hesitation and buddy went through the passenger side while other buddy continued to ask questions. When they were done I asked buddy if he would like me to step out of the truck so you can look through the drivers side. He just said no and have a nice day. They never asked for consent to search, They just went ahead and searched.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    WTF? What border crossing was this?
    That would be the border crossing in Blaine Wa. Not the Peace Arch one but the truck crossing. I have seen them there when the lines get large and they walk the dog in and around the cars on their side.
    I ride a m/c. If you TEXT, drive and injure or kill me. Well my dad says life is not worth living. I don't know if that means him or you.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    Wow, interesting. Good to know. I cross the border into the US from Ontario at multiple locations, at least 2-3 times a year, and have so for years, and just have never experienced it myself so I assumed it didn't happen. Looks like it does out in the prairies and Atlantic Canada though.
    Happens at the Niagara area bridges all the time. I've seen it at least 20 times this year. Its usually worse in the summer or after a Bills/Sabers game where sometimes its a combined DHS /DUI checkpoint

Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    Another person missing the point. Sure you can import a firearm into Canada. You can't EXPORT it from the USA. That's the issue. With allllll things firearms related... import into Canada, usually fine... export out of USA, usually a BIG no-no.
    I dont get it what am i missing !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDan View Post
    I dont get it what am i missing !!!
    If you are going to take something out of the US and into Canada you have to satisfy both country's regulations. The export and the import are two distinct processes governed by the laws of two separate countries.

There are things that you can legally import into Canada but you cannot export out of the US. Canada, for example allows you to legally import into Canada up to 5,000 rounds of ammo for personal use. However, the US does not allow the export out of the US even one single round of ammo without a valid export permit. So if you can figure out how to get 5,000 rounds into Canada from Europe or almost any country except the US, you can legally bring them into Canada. But you cannot do this legally from the US because of ITAR rules.
    Fusilier
    Webmaster for:
    IPSC NS - www.ipscns.ca

I went to Cabela's in Washington State last week and bought boots and a coyote call. Didn't even dare buy scope covers which I really need because I was unsure if they were legal.

Saved me money really, I make 'em out of bicycle inner tubes anyway.
    Weller soldering gun
    Hot glue gun
    Powershot forward action staple and nail gun
    Super Soaker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast