Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming changes to STI lineup?

Coming changes to STI lineup?

Hello folks,

there seem to be rumors about upcoming changes coming to STI's lineup (what with the change of CEO, declining demand, etc).

Anything you can confirm on your side?

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Not much to tell at this time.

They are fine-tuning their selection of firearms, but that happens every year around this time with a lead up to SHOT Show.
    There are a few gun models that are being discontinued after backorders are filled (Sentry and USPSA are examples - BUT we have lots of them in stock, so they will still be available for a while in Canada) Some finish selections will be changed.

They might introduce a couple new guns at SHOT - they usually do.

The new CEO has impressed the hell out of me. In his first month on the job - he came to visit me to get my concerns about the company.
    That hasn't happened in a while, and he talked a lot about refocusing on the competition line of products for STI.

If I haven't addressed your concerns, please post the rumors and I'll tell you what I can.
    Last edited by Freedom Ventures; 11-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Thanks for the quick response.
    What I heard (read) is basically what you said: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=472390

Quite a few models have been discontinued - for example pretty much all 40cal 1911's except for the Trojan.

There are no more distributors. Brazos is currently listed as a dealer and will continue to stock both guns and parts. STI will be dealer direct only no sales to individuals.
    Legend, GM, Shadow, Ranger II, Sentry, VIP, and USPSA models are discontinued.
    Although I assume you are not affected by the distributors/dealers change.

Nice to hear about your impressions of the new CEO!

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    There are less 40 cal options in 1911 - it is the slowest moving of the calibers in single stack so that makes sense that there will be less options.

As for the models; it really doesn't effect Canada much.
    VIP - we imported and sold (with long barrels) maybe 3 in the last 7 years.
    The GM as the top of the line race gun has been there for a while and race guns evolve - it will likely be replaced in the new year.
    The STI Shadow wasn't legal in Canada.
    Ranger IIs - there were a lot of 4" STI 1911s (Lawman, Tactical SS, Spartan, Ranger II) so it made sense that the oldest version got trimmed.
    Legend - too many variants of the 2011 "Standard" gun... Apeiro, Edge, Executive, Legend, USPSA Double Stack, IPSC Gun. Some trimming made sense.
    Sentry - well - it's a great gun. I am going to miss that one.
    The USPSA is also a great gun, a little pricey due to the SS top end, and I will miss it too. Might have to grab one from inventory for myself before they sell out.
    Of course, STI will continue to warrant all of these guns like they always have.

There are still a couple distributors in the US, and the foreign distributors still do their thing. (like me) In the USA, there were some "distributors" that really didn't sell to dealers - they just got a decent discount and then torpedoed any dealers trying to sell the product. That was never going to last so it's not a surprise that it got cleaned up.

STI seems to be transforming its business model to be more like all other firearm manufacturers; they focus on manufacturing; they have a limited number of customers; distributors - who work with the dealers to get the product to the customer. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The model works for Sig, Taurus, Colt, Springfield, Tanfoglio, Magnum Research, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, so it's proven.

Generally, I think their changes are good for both business and the end customers.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Great Post! Thank you for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Ventures View Post
    There are less 40 cal options in 1911 - it is the slowest moving of the calibers in single stack so that makes sense that there will be less options.

As for the models; it really doesn't effect Canada much.
    VIP - we imported and sold (with long barrels) maybe 3 in the last 7 years.
    The GM as the top of the line race gun has been there for a while and race guns evolve - it will likely be replaced in the new year.
    The STI Shadow wasn't legal in Canada.
    Ranger IIs - there were a lot of 4" STI 1911s (Lawman, Tactical SS, Spartan, Ranger II) so it made sense that the oldest version got trimmed.
    Legend - too many variants of the 2011 "Standard" gun... Apeiro, Edge, Executive, Legend, USPSA Double Stack, IPSC Gun. Some trimming made sense.
    Sentry - well - it's a great gun. I am going to miss that one.
    The USPSA is also a great gun, a little pricey due to the SS top end, and I will miss it too. Might have to grab one from inventory for myself before they sell out.
    Of course, STI will continue to warrant all of these guns like they always have.

There are still a couple distributors in the US, and the foreign distributors still do their thing. (like me) In the USA, there were some "distributors" that really didn't sell to dealers - they just got a decent discount and then torpedoed any dealers trying to sell the product. That was never going to last so it's not a surprise that it got cleaned up.

STI seems to be transforming its business model to be more like all other firearm manufacturers; they focus on manufacturing; they have a limited number of customers; distributors - who work with the dealers to get the product to the customer. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The model works for Sig, Taurus, Colt, Springfield, Tanfoglio, Magnum Research, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, so it's proven.

Generally, I think their changes are good for both business and the end customers.

Thanks a lot Sean. Like I didn't want a USPSA single stack bad enough. Now I have to get one sooner since they won't be made any more. You are evil.

Thanks for the detailed information!

There are also rumors about revised (improved) pricing... can't wait for SHOT to arrive =D

BANNED
    Would like to see STI work on a better finish..my only complaint

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Smoothbore's Avatar
    I would like to see more stainless steel models in the lower price ranges.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 09outlander's Avatar
    Is the Perfect 10 still being made? Also do you have one in stock?
    Come for the guns, stay for the tinfoil
    Member: CSSA

Dunnville Hunters and Anglers, we are accepting new members
    www.dunnvillehuntersandanglers.ca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast