Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap 30-06 ammunition.

winchester has their USA brand in rifle calibers as well, 30-06, 308, even seen it in 22-250 and 223 as well. American eagle has a similar product as well

CGN Ultra frequent flyer eaglesnester's Avatar
    Canadian ammo 7.62X51 mild steel core ammunition ChiCom $449 delivered for 1000 rounds when they have it in stock. It is non corrosive steel cased copper washed. MV3800 feet per second 147grain. Good for target practice, can not hunt with it as the rounds are NATO spec and do not mushroom in game and just pencil on through with little hydrostatic shock to the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    Canadian ammo 7.62X51 mild steel core ammunition ChiCom $449 delivered for 1000 rounds when they have it in stock. It is non corrosive steel cased copper washed. MV3800 feet per second 147grain. Good for target practice, can not hunt with it as the rounds are NATO spec and do not mushroom in game and just pencil on through with little hydrostatic shock to the animal.
    I didn't think you could Fire 7.62x51 in a rifle chambered for 30-06?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganderite View Post
    I suggest you buy a bolt action 22 and put a full sized scope on it. Shoot this a lot, from standing and sitting position, off both shoulders. Do it enough that is is as easy and automatic as tieing your shoe laces.

This is the way to get cheap shooting practice.
    And I'll add, get one that roughly compares to the weight of your other firearm. Most .22s are like toys in comparison.

My .22 scoped up comes in just under 10lbs, which is darn heavy for a .22.
    "Silence is the virtue of those who are not wise."

My comments are simply my opinions and observations. I am not a lawyer, and any legal references in my comments should not be considered legal advice.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pshore View Post
    I didn't think you could Fire 7.62x51 in a rifle chambered for 30-06?
    You cannot. They're different cartridges entirely.

Though actually a 7.62x51 / .308 will fire in a .30-06 chamber, the end result will be a blown out straight walled case.

Obviously you shouldn't do this.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    Quote Originally Posted by pshore View Post
    Thanks for the input. At the moment, reloading isn't an options so I guess cheap hunting ammo is the way to go.
    Do you have a brother or friend or uncle that reloads??? Even if you have to drive across town to get access to a press, you can load 200 rounds in an evening at 1/3 the cost of factory.
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by ipscgraz View Post
    Do you have a brother or friend or uncle that reloads??? Even if you have to drive across town to get access to a press, you can load 200 rounds in an evening at 1/3 the cost of factory.
    As it turns out my Father in Law is getting himself set up to reload and said I can use his stuff. So I guess I need to start hunting for the dies, projectiles, casings, gauges, and powder I'll need for 30-06! And I'll be looking for a heavy barrelled bolt action 22lr in the near future as well. Thanks for everyone's input!

http://www.alflahertys.com/collections/ammunition/Rifle-Ammunition?page=4

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Cheap surplus 30.06 is gone. Most goes to the US and they still have to pay more for it. I am on a email quest for any importers in Canada to find me some of the Greek or Korean ammo found to our south. If only to collect the brass for reloading. If all the Garand builders in Canada let them know of the need for this elusive stuff maybe one of them might be swayed to import some.
    Check http://www.alflahertys.com/collectio...unition?page=4 they have 30-06 for $26 20 rounds
    Last edited by SERGEKEY; 05-12-2016 at 03:52 PM.

1). Buy a bunch of different ammo
    2.) See what your gun likes
    3.) Only shoot that ammo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    Any 30-06 ammo is cheep if you compare it to 300 wm /300wsm 7mm rem 338 etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12