Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap 30-06 ammunition.

Cheap 30-06 ammunition.

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first rifle which I plan to start hunting with next year for moose and deer in the Cariboo. It's a Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless in 30-06. I'm well aware that I need to site in my gun with the ammunition I plan on hunting with but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can aquire cheap ammo for target practice and to improve my skills as a shooter? Can you still get surplus military ammo in 30-06 and if so, is this a worthwhile route?

the days of cheap ammo is long gone and will never be seen again. if you want to keep costs down reloading is the only way to go.

Cheap surplus 30.06 is gone. Most goes to the US and they still have to pay more for it. I am on a email quest for any importers in Canada to find me some of the Greek or Korean ammo found to our south. If only to collect the brass for reloading. If all the Garand builders in Canada let them know of the need for this elusive stuff maybe one of them might be swayed to import some.
    when guns are outlawed we become subjects.

Non-compliance, 'cause bad laws are worse than no laws.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Best to just look into a case lot of .30-06 hunting ammo like Federal blue box, Winchester power points or Remmy soft points. Keep your brass and look into getting into reloading.

Thanks for the input. At the moment, reloading isn't an options so I guess cheap hunting ammo is the way to go.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ganderite's Avatar
    I suggest you buy a bolt action 22 and put a full sized scope on it. Shoot this a lot, from standing and sitting position, off both shoulders. Do it enough that is is as easy and automatic as tieing your shoe laces.

This is the way to get cheap shooting practice.
    -- Learn by the experience of others.... you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself.
    -- The fool mistakes his world for the world.
    -- Doubt is uncomfortable but certainty is ridiculous.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Gone, along with the $39 Lee-Enfield, $99 Garand, $149 SVT40, and $129 dollar Chinese SKS...

The cheaper stuff is anywhere from $17.99 - $21.99 a box. Which isn't bad considering good hunting ammo (WHICH IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING HUNTING) will run you $30+ per box. I use Winchester Power Max.
    "All a gun does is focus an explosion in one direction."

CGN frequent flyer
    Lol....crap, it was a question!

Cheap has a new meaning. Core lokt 180grain I would consider cheap is 26.99..... sometimes 28.99 depending where you get it from. Cheap doesn't really exist, just less expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast