Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter woes...................

CGN Regular
    I work for a local car dealership so I guess I'll throw in a few tips on preparing your vehicle.

- If you park outside, either cover the wipers & mechanism or be sure to free them and clean the snow out before using them. Ask me how many stripped or bent wiper arms I've replaced because people don't do this.
    - Spraying vinegar on frosted up windows makes scraping easier and applying some vegetable oil to your rubber door seals can help prevent them from freezing shut. There's also the "thaw a frozen lock by heating your key with a lighter" trick.
    - Never install cardboard or other air blocking devices directly on the radiator.
    - Check your lights and replace as needed.
    - Check and replace your windshield wipers as needed.
    - Drain and refill your washer fluid reservoir with winter rated fluid (-35 or lower). Remember to purge the lines!
    - Check the condition of all serpentine or accessory drive belts. If you see more than 5 cracks per inch, the belt should be replaced.
    - Check the strength of the engine coolant. I can't speak for other makes but GM Dexcool turns acidic and starts eating aluminum after 4-5 years. Flush if needed.
    - Clean and seal your battery terminals. Even a slight bit of corrosion prevents proper charging.
    - Have your battery and charging system checked and load tested.
    - Inspect your tires for uneven wear. Improper inflation, worn shocks and worn or out of alignment suspension parts mean the tires aren't fully gripping the road.
    - Measure the tread depth. Most manufacturers now recommend replacing tires at 5/32" during the winter for safer travel and better grip in deeper snow.
    - Invest in dedicated winter tires on their own rims. This makes swapping over much faster.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but here's Rick Mercer with the best argument for installing winter tires.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you." - Chris Cornell

Winter blocker for the radiator helps warm faster and heat better

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Davy Crockett's Avatar
    Winter?

New rubber boots? Check.

Done

My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Davy Crockett". Use on this board in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board. Any use outside this forum, in whole or in part, requires my express written consent.

Flamethrower, thats about all you need for any winter emergency.
    Check other started threads for combo deals

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Fall Guy's Avatar
    ^Good points Ko1. This is the second time I've heard about the vinegar. May have to try that one.

The best way to avoid getting stuck (for an extended period of time) is, simply, to pay attention to the weather reports. There was more than one snowed in driver, I saw interviewed, that KNOWINGLY drove towards the storm because they 'believed' they just had to get where they were going. Well duh.

But yeah, our vehicles have the basics.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fiddler's Avatar
    I live for that weather. Separates the men from the boys
    When all else fails, Bark like a dog !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    I live for that weather. Separates the men from the boys
    wood heat.
    gas generator.
    4x4 with plow.

wheres our snow? haha

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bear.23's Avatar
    in the back of the truck... I have a dozen MRE's, Candles, case of water( now frozen!), blankets, flashlights (batteries wrapped in the console), air horn, fire starter (cotton balls), canteen cups..
    several rolls of TP and a couple knives.. extra gloves and hats..and hot pockets (not the frozen food) and a small frying pan...

almost all of it is in 2 pelican cases in ziplock bags.. (to stay dry and rodent free)
    Tired, Old, Sore & Cranky... What else is new..

My complete hunting gear with boots, CB radio, cold weather sleeping bag, minimum 20 litres of spare gas, canned heat stove, lighters, candles, flashlights, small pot, water, snack bars, soup, tools, tarp, and if I'm heading up 400/Hwy 11 a 12ga pump with lots of ammo.

My wife is a prepper... I come by the idea of a bugout bag/car naturally, hence my handle here.

By the time I'm done there is not much space left in the trunk, but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Last edited by Bugout; 11-21-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    ORA - BRRC - IPSC - CSSA - CCFR - DCRA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko1 View Post
    - Drain and refill your washer fluid reservoir with winter rated fluid (-35 or lower). Remember to purge the lines!
    Forgot to do that this year. Slush was pushed out of the sprayers after the first drop to -10. I won't make that mistake again. Our reservoir swallows over 4L, so it's taking a while to get it all out.

The -35/-45 washer fluid actually freezing at anything below -20 is another issue altogether
    CSSA Member
    CCFR Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast