Thread: Do you need dehumidifier in a NON-fireproofed safe or cabinet

CGN frequent flyer

Do you need dehumidifier in a NON-fireproofed safe or cabinet

Do you use dehumidifier in a NON-fireproofed safe or cabinet? I know it's required in the fireproofed safe due to the moisture from the fireproof material. Thanks!
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    If you have any concerns about moisture or dampness you should use one. The dollar stores sell some that work pretty good.

CGN frequent flyer
    that's a good thought! I keep forgetting abou the dollor store, was always thinking about the power rechargable ones which tells me when it's time to recharge/reactivate.

Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    If you have any concerns about moisture or dampness you should use one. The dollar stores sell some that work pretty good.
    CSSA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    that's a good thought! I keep forgetting abou the dollor store, was always thinking about the power rechargable ones which tells me when it's time to recharge/reactivate.

Yep, $1.50 for a basic silica one that'll last for at least two months under normal conditions...

CGN Regular
    I just put a few packets of dessicant in my case

BANNED
    Desiccant gets expensive. A low wattage light bulb, kept on all the time, will keep a safe/cabinet just warm enough to prevent condensation from happening. Doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't require periodic rejuvenation.
    However, the entire thing depends on how much the room's temperatures change. If the temperatures in the room don't change much, you really don't need to worry about it.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Desiccant gets expensive. A low wattage light bulb, kept on all the time, will keep a safe/cabinet just warm enough to prevent condensation from happening. Doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't require periodic rejuvenation.
    However, the entire thing depends on how much the room's temperatures change. If the temperatures in the room don't change much, you really don't need to worry about it.
    Try asking your pharmacy for some free ones, they should have a whole bunch that they would normally just throw away anyways