Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 8" AR500 Steel Gong $59.99

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    What is the cert for? The range should be able to tell you what is needed

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    It sounds like they want something that says the gong is indeed made of AR500, and not just marketed as such.

Sounds like something that would have to go all the way back to the manufacturer.

I gotta ask, what range is asking for a certificate? And has anyone else heard of anything like this??
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I bought numerous AR 500 targets from various suppliers.
    Never even heard of such certificate, nor have ever been offered one.

Power tripping range nazi perhaps is certifiable himself.

Quote Originally Posted by charles u farley View Post
    Sharp corners where the ears meet the main plate and hard material are not a good combination. There should be a 1/2" radius in there.
    I'd use the existing holes to mount eyebolts (circletowards the back) and attach my hanging chains to the eyebolts using shackles.
    The CG of this assembly would tilt the plate at an angle which would deflect the rounds downwards (instead of back). In addition, when struck, the plate would pivot or rotate upwards.
    Combined with the freedom of movement provided by the eyebolt'/shackle arrangement - may be enough to reduce forces on "ears" in order to prevent stress cracking/failure.

L
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

I believe he's looking for a Mill Test Report. Anyone dealing in raw steel should be fully aware of what a mill test report is, as they are a guarantee that steel from a mill falls within certain spec of the grade steel. It's like an insurance policy for manufacturers, so that if something goes wrong, they can prove they used the correct steel.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack this thread. Its the Port Coquitlam And District H&F Club. They want a cert to verify its ar500 and safe to use for the intended purpose.
    When I die, my atoms will come undone; ill be space dust, once again. The wind will carry me; Scatter me everywhere; Like dandelions in the springtime. Ill visit worlds and alien moons; It will be so damn poetic... Until I land on your sandwich.

CGN Regular
    Is this a normal thing to happen to ar500 steel plates?

Edit: sorry, I meant to include the part about the ears cracking off.

Very Nice !

Steel Info

Sold this for 20+ years, Made in Canada here http://www.algoma.com/products-and-markets/?C=64
    AR 500 is this http://www.essarsteelalgoma.com/medi...TPWeb11-12.pdf
    Now known as AlgoTuf 500 The AR stands for abrasion resistant so no real ballistic tests performed or claimed. It can be ordered with impact tests and as stated in the info will typically obtain 20FT/LBS @ -40F (CAT 3)
    Applications include heavy earth moving equipment, forestry equipment, typically in high impact applications (scoop bucket leading edges, ground breakers, felling heads)
    My customers used a lot of QT100 The AR500 was used very sparingly due to cost and difficulty in processing.
    We cut silhouette targets for local Police and RCMP QT100 for pistol AR500 for Rifle
    You can weld lugs on the back for chain. It requires a low Hydrogen rod and pre heat. this will lower the steels properties in the area of the weld.
    If ordered with mill test certs the heat number will need to hard stamped into each part for range purposes this can be on the edge. We shipped this with tests and stamps on every part as it @ that time it fell under the pressure vessel rules.

CGN frequent flyer CraigNConnor's Avatar
    Cool story bro

Quote Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
    Sold this for 20+ years, Made in Canada here http://www.algoma.com/products-and-markets/?C=64
    AR 500 is this http://www.essarsteelalgoma.com/medi...TPWeb11-12.pdf
    Now known as AlgoTuf 500 The AR stands for abrasion resistant so no real ballistic tests performed or claimed. It can be ordered with impact tests and as stated in the info will typically obtain 20FT/LBS @ -40F (CAT 3)
    Applications include heavy earth moving equipment, forestry equipment, typically in high impact applications (scoop bucket leading edges, ground breakers, felling heads)
    My customers used a lot of QT100 The AR500 was used very sparingly due to cost and difficulty in processing.
    We cut silhouette targets for local Police and RCMP QT100 for pistol AR500 for Rifle
    You can weld lugs on the back for chain. It requires a low Hydrogen rod and pre heat. this will lower the steels properties in the area of the weld.
    If ordered with mill test certs the heat number will need to hard stamped into each part for range purposes this can be on the edge. We shipped this with tests and stamps on every part as it @ that time it fell under the pressure vessel rules.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast