Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxes (HST/GST/PST)

Taxes (HST/GST/PST)

Hey Wanstalls,

Normally when I order from BC, I pay only 5% GST. When I use the checkout on your website, it says 13%.

What's the story, morning glory?
    Last edited by XXXXX; 11-29-2014 at 12:05 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    I am in Quebec and all the dealers i do business with, only charge the GST, if the dealers want to charge both taxes, i just take my business elswere... JP.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    I wondered about some BC dealers only charging me 5% and others charging 13% as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    I see. So...

If I have it shipped to ON directly, it's 13% HST.

If I specify a ship-to address in BC, it's GST only.

What a joke... Ontario has it's hands in other province's pockets. Such a sham.

Try N.S.

15%

I have a feeling that's close to the top of the charts for sales tax in north america.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kage123 View Post
    Try N.S.

15%

I have a feeling that's close to the top of the charts for sales tax in north america.
    yes but like Caramel, I buy from the B.C. sponsors that charge the 5% only, as it should be, it is like a 10% discount every time!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN frequent flyer Black_Valkyrie's Avatar
    5 + 7 = 12.

Even if they chose to charge you you BC taxes, it should only total 12%.

I'm in BC as well.
    What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?

CGN frequent flyer 1300_stainless's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    I am in Quebec and all the dealers i do business with, only charge the GST, if the dealers want to charge both taxes, i just take my business elswere... JP.
    I can understand if you're looking for the lowest price point but you do realize they aren't pocketing the money right? It's not a matter of them "wanting" to, it's a matter of legalities and accounting. Shipping methods make a difference depending on how they are paid for. (Shipping can technically change where you take ownership depending on who pays for it) I know this from experience. It's stupid and complicated but it's the way it is. Why would they "want" to charge you money they don't get? It all shows as taxes collected from an accounting standpoint. Unless someones fudging receipts.
    Last edited by 1300_stainless; 11-29-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    My bling bling goes bang bang

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1300_stainless View Post
    I can understand if you're looking for the lowest price point but you do realize they aren't pocketing the money right? It's not a matter of them "wanting" to, it's a matter of legalities and accounting. Shipping methods make a difference depending on how they are paid for. (Shipping can technically change where you take ownership depending on who pays for it) I know this from experience. It's stupid and complicated but it's the way it is. Why would they "want" to charge you money they don't get? It all shows as taxes collected from an accounting standpoint. Unless someones fudging receipts.
    Maybe it is a question of shipping method....I've had two BC dealers charge me 13% on items shipped to me here in NB while a third BC store charged 5%.

My understanding was that all business must register for GST collection and if they ship to a "HST" province they must charge that province's HST rate (13% in NB). I'm really not sure why I got that one shipment charged at 5%.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast