Thread: Hey TSE... about those boxed SKS rifles you have for sale...?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tengoo's Avatar

Hey TSE... about those boxed SKS rifles you have for sale...?

They're boxed up and you don't want to open them...but can you tell me anything about the ones that have been already sold? I'm looking for a later vintage Russian...chromed barrel, upgraded [with spring] firing pin and laminated stock [not too fussy about the stock]. What have you been finding in those boxes? I'm looking to buy if there's a reasonable chance you have what I want...

Thanks...
    "Pity the poor opponents of the right to keep and bear arms! They must distrust just everybody except criminals and except
    the tyrant to whom they concede the armed monopoly of their protection." -- Pierre Lemieux [LIBERTY Magazine Nov. '97]

spring in a firing pin is over rated. Militaries carry how many C8/C7 variants and not ONE has a spring anywhere near the firing pin. An SKS is no different, stop drinking the kool aid

CGN Regular
    Add the M14 (and our beloved M305) to the list of springless firing pins. It's beneficial because the more spring loaded you make the firing pin (for the sole purpose of overcoming lazy cleaning) the more power you need behind the hammer, the more power it takes to cock it, the more energy you need to take from the cartridge's gases.

A clean bolt will give you no problems.

The Russians didn't upgrade with a spring. They upgraded by getting rid of the spring. Spring loaded firing pins were phased out in what, early 50 or 51?

Got one there on Friday. Its a Tula hardwood 1951. No refurb marks, looks new!
    Last edited by BPM; 12-01-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: More descriptive.

Got one the other day as well, 1953, chrome lined but rusty bayonet and bbq paint refurb stock is hardwood but has repairs and doesn't look to good wish you could view them for condition at the price they are selling

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tengoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gxxrman View Post
    Got one the other day as well, 1953, chrome lined but rusty bayonet and bbq paint refurb stock is hardwood but has repairs and doesn't look to good wish you could view them for condition at the price they are selling
    They're priced at $150 today... I'm sorry to hear they aren't in esp. good condition. My '51 Tula refurb is in excellent shape.

I'm aware that the FP spring isn't a necessary feature....I was more interested in seeing the difference than anything else.
    "Pity the poor opponents of the right to keep and bear arms! They must distrust just everybody except criminals and except
    the tyrant to whom they concede the armed monopoly of their protection." -- Pierre Lemieux [LIBERTY Magazine Nov. '97]

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dand883's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengoo View Post
    They're priced at $150 today... I'm sorry to hear they aren't in esp. good condition. My '51 Tula refurb is in excellent shape.

I'm aware that the FP spring isn't a necessary feature....I was more interested in seeing the difference than anything else.
    besides having an extra spring when you take it apart for cleaning you won't really notice much of a difference, they both go bang every time you pull the trigger.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Actually the quality was all over the board. Some were exquisite and others a little rougher.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately for us), we sold out all 100 that we had, so we will all have to wait till the next batch to see what we get.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans