Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: what is the "mil-spec CLP" I bought...curious

what is the "mil-spec CLP" I bought...curious

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...-for-firearms/

That stuff there.....smells pretty funky, bottle is unlabeled and looks like the 2 stroke oil bottles I get from Home Depot lol.
    Just wondering what kind of cancer or cancers it will give me....smells like old diesel oil, mixed with whale guts and left out in the sun for a few weeks.
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...-for-firearms/

That stuff there.....smells pretty funky, bottle is unlabeled and looks like the 2 stroke oil bottles I get from Home Depot lol.
    Just wondering what kind of cancer or cancers it will give me....smells like old diesel oil, mixed with whale guts and left out in the sun for a few weeks.
    30yrs old CLP re bottled into new containers??

CGN Regular
    Junk... I would only use it as a pre rinse to a superior lubricant.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Does it go bad?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRussian View Post
    Junk... I would only use it as a pre rinse to a superior lubricant.
    What makes you say this?

try froglube or MPro7 I believe they are both non-toxic and odorless (froglube smells like mint; its plant based)

I find CLP only good for cleaning, not so much for lubricating nor protecting.

The Canada Ammo brand stuff does serve this purpose well, I still have a box of this stuff to burn through.

Anyone remember the CLP Marstar sold? That was real mystery goo.
    "Giveth thine possessions upon Michael of Canmore and thou shalt never be possessionless." - Norc 3:05

Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    I wish....lol. No, nothing like Breakfree CLP....smells a bit like the oil that comes on Chinese guns, or that came with the CQ311's and SKS back in the day, but thinner.
    I'm probably sterile now just from smelling it.
    I'd #### my pants if CanAm has an MSDS sheet for this stuff lol
    Last edited by Hitzy; 12-01-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goo98 View Post
    I find CLP only good for cleaning, not so much for lubricating nor protecting.
    Breakfree CLP is a great lube and rust protector, but ####ty cleaner.....good to know this stuff is only good for cleaning. Probably the kerosene and amonia in it lol
    I only added it to get the order over $2 bills....I was thinking it was the little BF CLP bottles that fit in your kit, didn't read close enough...8oz...now I got a liter of this stuff. Maybe I'll pour it in the lawnmower, or undercoat my car.

Milspec does not mean it is good. It means it is good enough and cheap enough.

CLP is satisfactory for cleaning.
    Frog lube smells great and is "non toxic"; does not really clean that well but also I find it will "carry" debris and eventually you have to completely degrease your implement with brake cleaner to remove all the extra lube and crud that it picks up.
    Fire clean. It is thin, it adheres, and it does not carry debris which is nice. Once you have a base coat everything seems to just wipe off anyways. Probably like all good things will give me cancer of the face and ass.

If you are in a dry dusty environment try powdered graphite and just wipe it off.

If all else fails, run your gun dry. Carbon is a natural lubricant anyways, your gun just blows the extra out. Thats what we do waaaaay up north.
    Last edited by herpinator45; 12-01-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by herpinator45 View Post
    Milspec does not mean it is good. It means it is good enough and cheap enough.

CLP is good for cleaning. However once it is clean switch to something else. I find frog lube smells great and is non toxic, but also I find it will "carry" debris and eventually you have to completely degrease your implement with brake cleaner to remove all the extra lube and crud that it picks up.

I have had good luck with my guns and fire clean. It is thin, it adheres, and it does not carry debris which is nice. Once you have a base coat everything seems to just wipe off anyways.

If you are in a dry dusty environment try powdered graphite.
    I don't really buy much gun oil.... Too expensive for what you get. I've narrowed it down to air compressor oil as my CLP....it's odorless, hell on carbon, and protects and lubes for a long time. It's about $6/liter.
    I still have some Otis copper remover I bought years ago....that stuff works. Only stuff I've ever had that will remove brass marks in about 10 seconds.... Supposed to be nontoxic too lol

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast