Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The House of 1911s - Available Stock Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    Better get some photos up sooner or later...
    Yes, I suppose I'lll have to do that. It'll be a little later, not sooner but I must admit I always enjoy looking at everyone else's new toys but have been lacking in "giving back" to this community and will have to rectify that. I'm pretty stoked about this new gun, first 1911 and one of the final pieces in my personal handgun puzzle.
    Great service from Wanstalls again by the way.

Expried Business Member
    Happy to be of help! We'll look forward to the pictures once you get it all cleaned up and pretty.

I have had a WWII Remington Rand (c.1989), a Springfield Armoury MilSpec (c.1994), Valtro 1998-A1 (c.1999), a Sig Target (c.2013) and a STI Ranger II (c. 2011), I still have the STI. The Remington was trashed when I got it, I fully restored it, tightened and lapped the slide to the frame, replaced the barrel and all springs, pins and internals. It turned out pretty good but it was a challenge getting parts back then. The SA was okay, well built but never fit my hand, I like the frame under the trigger guard to be relieved, I wanted to have it worked over for IPSC but never got around to it and at the time my Glock 21 outshot it and was way more reliable and held a couple of extra rounds. The Valtro I had the longest but I alway felt bad shooting it as the finish was so nice and while it was accurate and very smooth it was not without its flaws. The Sig was less than remarkable, I expected a lot more from the pistol but when you look at the difference in quality and price between it and the Ed Brown you realize it is functional but very much a mass produced pistol, I don’t think I put 50 rounds through it before I let it go. The STI is, for the price, a great purchase, superior to any other mass produced 1911 I have seen in my opinion. Action is almost as smooth as the Ed Brown, lock up is super tight and it is very accurate. The Ed Brown is in another category, as are any of the high end 1911's. It really comes down to how they feel in your hand, yes I know they are all 1911's and the should all be the same but they are not. Where the front of the grip meets the trigger guard, the under cut of the beaver tail, the checkering all change the dimension and feel of the pistol in the hand and that is subjective. I shot my friend's Special Forces and that sold me on the EB, I have't had the opportunity to try the Nighthawk I'm sure it is on par with the Ed Brown. If you are going to invest that much money in a pistol do it knowing what you are going to get, and be sufficiently experienced to appreciate it. Buying a more expensive pistol won't make you a better shot, so don't have the expectation that any of these will suddenly improve your marksmanship, but if you love the 1911 platform and want to know how well it can be made it is certainly worth the investment. I carried a S&W M&P .40 and it was the F-150 of handguns, tough, reliable, accurate, functional and easy to carry but for the pure pleasure of shooting a 1911 is very hard to beat.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]

Expried Business Member
    Great write up and true words!

That pistol looks amazing with those grips and is truly one of a kind, no Ed Brown quite like it has come through our shop.

CGN Regular
    Thanks 45Guru.

This is basically what I'm doing with regards to practice and marksmanship.. I have a m&P 9 and a CZ shadow which I love, they're relatively accurate and very easy to maintain... I love the 1911 platform, and that's only from having fired the STI Spartan at DVC in Vancouver. The push button trigger of a single action is hard to beat. I held a few nighthawks at Wanstalls and they just felt like a solid piece of metal.

For me the 1911 would be a grail gun, a gun to enjoy shooting, not as much as running it hard on a tactical course or anything like that...although I do not doubt it can do that as well. I'm excited about trying one of the Nighthawks at the range day tomorrow. I hope they don't disappoint! Shooting it might cause my wallet to commit suicide .. donno if thats a good thing at all :P

Expried Business Member
    Now that the cat's out of the bag: We may have some Wilsons to add to this thread next week when they land at the shop, depending on how many survive that long now that they've been announced. Hopefully a variety makes it to the shelf, but if you're into the Wilson Combat lineup you'll want to click that link and make your mark sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Expried Business Member
    Springfield Armory TRP Stainless, TRP Black, and MC Operators have returned to the House of 1911s!

Expried Business Member
    Oops! Looks like we forgot the TRP Operators on that last post, but they are here, and we're already down to the last two.

Expried Business Member
    Some new arrivals from SIG Sauer today: the XO Stainless and the Traditional Match Elite.

Expried Business Member
    Wilson Combat pistols have landed! Whether you want the CQB, the upgraded CQB with all the bells and whistles, or the rough conditions master X-TAC pistol, you're in luck today!