Page 1 of 13 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: The House of 1911s - Available Stock Thread

Expried Business Member

The House of 1911s - Available Stock Thread

Last edited by WanstallsOnline; 05-01-2015 at 07:46 PM.

As a newb to high end 1911 how does a Nighthawk compare to say a Wilson Combat or vise versa? ( besides the fact Nighthawk are in stock)
    Thanks

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Great selection. Right off the bat I can see at least a half dozen 1911's that I would love to have.

Time for a new safe...
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    Buying in the House have the Groundhog Day effect, every morning i am shooping to add a 1911 to my herd... I dont know if il'l make it the day without going for another one, not a bad feeling at all... Cheers. JP

Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    Buying in the House have the Groundhog Day effect, every morning i am shooping to add a 1911 to my herd... I dont know if il'l make it the day without going for another one, not a bad feeling at all... Cheers. JP
    So which one of your collection you like the best caramel ?

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by North60 View Post
    As a newb to high end 1911 how does a Nighthawk compare to say a Wilson Combat or vise versa? ( besides the fact Nighthawk are in stock)
    Thanks
    Nighthawk was founded by a group of Wilson employees that had some personal differences with the management at Wilson Combat. Both companies are in one town, which should probably get the official designation of "Ultimate 1911 Town" at this point. Nighthawk's master smiths are formerly Wilson master smiths. Nighthawk's decades of experience were once Wilson's decades of experience. The schism contributed to Wilson's lengthy waits... but pretty much immediately Nighthawk was in enough demand to have a similar wait. These days Nighthawk is around a 24 month US wait and so is Wilson's. Both occupy the the tactical wunderpistol market niche and compete there directly.

The reason the above is important, is to establish sort of a baseline for expectations. Nighthawk Custom and Wilson Combat guns have the shared lineage discussed above. Their employees are using the same techniques perfected over decades of doing it and doing it right. Blindfolded, you'd have a pretty difficult task of telling a Wilson apart from a Nighthawk unless you'd handled dozens upon dozens and have gotten used to the differences in serration widths Both companies pour more man-hours into their pistols than even most of the custom shops, and coming from a shared heritage they share a level of expertise that has always set them apart. Both companies make use of all the finer niceties that some other companies don't, or charge extra for, such as the beveled take down pin recess, chamfering of slides, ball radius cuts, and flush cut crowns on the barrels. The resultant 1911s are astoundingly well-made. I've never met anyone who bought either and regretted it. They're simply exceptional guns. Nighthawk's compact models are currently a strong contender for best of breed at the moment. Wilson has been branching out lately to other models of gun/parts for guns. Both build fantastic customized 870s.

Either company is a safe bet for the best 1911 in the world these days. You can ask ten collectors/shooters and watch them split evenly down the middle. Neither side will be wrong.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Dan, where would you place ED Brown 1911 compare to Wilson and Nighthawk, also those Maximus lot pretty good, what your assesement on them...
    The only one i am sure of is the Les Baer... I bought some R1 and Sam but since i started with the LB, they were send to a good home...
    My Colt Gold Cup just look awsome and the trigger and reset are great, i will compare it to the LB, but i have no expectations behond it being a runner up... Cheers. JP.

Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    Nighthawk was founded by a group of Wilson employees that had some personal differences with the management at Wilson Combat. Both companies are in one town, which should probably get the official designation of "Ultimate 1911 Town" at this point. Nighthawk's master smiths are formerly Wilson master smiths. Nighthawk's decades of experience were once Wilson's decades of experience. The schism contributed to Wilson's lengthy waits... but pretty much immediately Nighthawk was in enough demand to have a similar wait. These days Nighthawk is around a 24 month US wait and so is Wilson's. Both occupy the the tactical wunderpistol market niche and compete there directly.

The reason the above is important, is to establish sort of a baseline for expectations. Nighthawk Custom and Wilson Combat guns have the shared lineage discussed above. Their employees are using the same techniques perfected over decades of doing it and doing it right. Blindfolded, you'd have a pretty difficult task of telling a Wilson apart from a Nighthawk unless you'd handled dozens upon dozens and have gotten used to the differences in serration widths Both companies pour more man-hours into their pistols than even most of the custom shops, and coming from a shared heritage they share a level of expertise that has always set them apart. Both companies make use of all the finer niceties that some other companies don't, or charge extra for, such as the beveled take down pin recess, chamfering of slides, ball radius cuts, and flush cut crowns on the barrels. The resultant 1911s are astoundingly well-made. I've never met anyone who bought either and regretted it. They're simply exceptional guns. Nighthawk's compact models are currently a strong contender for best of breed at the moment. Wilson has been branching out lately to other models of gun/parts for guns. Both build fantastic customized 870s.

Either company is a safe bet for the best 1911 in the world these days. You can ask ten collectors/shooters and watch them split evenly down the middle. Neither side will be wrong.

Cheers,
    Daniel
    This is why I come here for answers and not "google" Thanks for the info Daniel you answered my question.
    That Nighthawk Custom GRP two tone.........

When i know more the Maximus really intrigues me and a Commander style EB Kobra Carry are contenders... JP.

Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    When i know more the Maximus really intrigues me and a Commander style EB Kobra Carry are contenders... JP.
    The CFO must have a full time person looking after all your transfers

Page 1 of 13 12345678911 ... LastLast