Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Kettle?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mags View Post
    So I happened across these stoves through a Bushcraft Canada fb page and I started researching. Neat little stoves, and great for emergency situations etc. The Ghillie stove (made at same place as the Kelly) seems to be be a bit better as they have a whistle instead of just a plug, and they now come in black alu. I would like to get one but when would it be used? If camping why not just build a normal fire that can be used for boiling AND cooking? These seem A LOT Better, cheaper, and not as gimmicky as the Biolite. I have been searching videos for two days now and have yet to see anyone cook ON the top...that's where I start to wain. If I am carrying a kettle and a hobo stove, why not just use a campfire? Enlighten and teach me...Santa left a couple of dollars in my pocket and I want to make sure it's well spent
    Having never handled the kelly kettle, I have similar questions. And I don't think it's going to be fully useful FOR ME.

Because it can only boil water, it's only useful as a second stove. And for a second stove, it's too volumous and heavy. If it's the only stove, I don't think a pot is going to balance well with such a narrow base and no support. I'd also have problems finding a nesting pot for it to descrease packed volume.

If I have a choice between packing a kelly kettle or extra fuel for my first stove, I think I'll end up going with extra fuel. No soot. No hassle and faster boiling times.

I had the similar problems with jetboil. I rarely ended up taking it as the only stove.

Methinks as the ultralight woodchip solution a hobo stove with a nesting titanium cup would be lighter and more flexible. It can be the only stove, because it's short enough to cook on. It should also be smaller and lighter.

YMMV

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    There is supposed to be a Kelly kettle whistle in the works too for those that want one. I think the main attraction is the ability to burn just about anything available for fuel for times when propane, butane, etc are not available or practical. For example, flying into a lake and being dropped off to hunt or fish; sometimes people can't get picked up on time due to bad weather. I met a bush pilot once that had a client stuck in a northern lake for two weeks extra because the weather became too dangerous to pick him up. If you run out of propane, you can always find something to burn and get one of these kettles working. These are also supposed to be quicker to boil water than propane stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
    Having never handled the kelly kettle, I have similar questions. And I don't think it's going to be fully useful FOR ME.

Because it can only boil water, it's only useful as a second stove. And for a second stove, it's too volumous and heavy. If it's the only stove, I don't think a pot is going to balance well with such a narrow base and no support. I'd also have problems finding a nesting pot for it to descrease packed volume.

If I have a choice between packing a kelly kettle or extra fuel for my first stove, I think I'll end up going with extra fuel. No soot. No hassle and faster boiling times.

I had the similar problems with jetboil. I rarely ended up taking it as the only stove.

Methinks as the ultralight woodchip solution a hobo stove with a nesting titanium cup would be lighter and more flexible. It can be the only stove, because it's short enough to cook on. It should also be smaller and lighter.

YMMV
    This piece of kit is not something you will want to pack in and out of the bush any distance on foot. It's a bit too bulky for that. Where it does comes into its own (IMHO) is where you set up camp close to the truck, it really performs as a hot water provider + top stove powered by brush and twigs.

It boils up water really fast and easily, great for that early morning start and that essential cup of coffee. It can also handle a decent sized pan for eggs and bacon / sausages or soup / rice with the flue 'T' piece. What I really like is the ease of use, and that is boils up water so fast it make most gas stoves look slow. When I bush camp for a couple of days, it is the key piece of kit, as hot water is the basis for drinks / food and washing. For hiking into the bush a Solo stove is a much better option.

Pro's: Fast and easy, twigs and brush for fuel, with adapter can hand a pan / robust.

Cons: Bulky / limited control of heat (only does full on) / top heavy with a pan, requires a super stable base.

Candocad.
    [FONT="Verdana"]Take that shot and take it well, because there is unlikely to be another chance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Candocad View Post
    Pro's: Fast and easy, twigs and brush for fuel, with adapter can hand a pan / robust.

Cons: Bulky / limited control of heat (only does full on) / top heavy with a pan, requires a super stable base.
    Another pro is that in cold weather it should work great, especially if I can cover the outside with a cozy of sorts. Like jetboil.

The gear hoar in me wants to pull the trigger, but don't know how much use it will get. Would sure be nice to have it near the fire on a canoe trip instead of some artifical stove just for esthetic value... Choices choices...

Quote Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
    There is supposed to be a Kelly kettle whistle in the works too for those that want one. I think the main attraction is the ability to burn just about anything available for fuel for times when propane, butane, etc are not available or practical. For example, flying into a lake and being dropped off to hunt or fish; sometimes people can't get picked up on time due to bad weather. I met a bush pilot once that had a client stuck in a northern lake for two weeks extra because the weather became too dangerous to pick him up. If you run out of propane, you can always find something to burn and get one of these kettles working. These are also supposed to be quicker to boil water than propane stoves.
    The whistle belongs on the Ghillie stove
    It is the same as the Kelly, even made as the same shop. And I am with Dragon on this. Would make a cool choice for gear heads, but after watching and reading for the past two days, I am now looking at Trangia's line of stoves for real world/practical use
    Thanks...Mark

CGN Regular
    I've hadd one for about 10 years. Mine's aluminum and heats up ---uber fast --- the bulky argument is worth considering because it does take up room .... but it weighs very little. I pack mine on the outside of back packs .... also because of this I found a tubular bag for it so the chain for the cork wouldn't be noisy and so i woundn't lose the bottom insert. Think of it like a largish thermos in terms of how you'd pack it. I use it a lot salmon fishing ... hand full of twigs and tea in the river is mine. It also is trouble free and near weightless to take along in my canoe, boat or quad ... behind the seat of the truck etc ... I've also "McGyvered" a round stove top ..... but the one they make for it that I just saw thanks to this thread looks better than my creation.
    It is not micro gear ..... but it is simple and useful

How's your pricing? My great uncle had one and it is absolutely amazing how fast and easy they are.
    The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Major Sights's Avatar
    Any ETA's of the first shipment?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Major Sights's Avatar
    Bueller?

I has an aluminum one and it was fantastic!
    When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast