Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: would you consider a modern hunter essential kit?

In my industry we have a saying. Quality, Speed, Low Price, pick two, you will never have all three.

I think the coolest part about this rifle, besides being NR, is the fact it's being made, start to finish, with pride and quality, in Alberta Canada. Quality labor in Alberta doesn't come cheap. In fact I'm amazed at your price point with the specs you have, being even possible being built in Calgary. It must be because your people love what they do, not because they want to get rich.

There are cheap used NR options out there for guys if they really want one, but we all know that is comparing apples to oranges with the shooter you're building. A friend of mine is in on the pre order, and I can't wait to play with his. I'm also subscribed for when the small caliber variant of this rifle shows up. In the meantime, I am still of the opinion that this rifle is a bargain already.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    Darbgnik said it pretty well - something non-restricted and high quality that's hand built like these just can't really be cheap. There are lots of cheaper options - T97, CZ, SU16... those are mass produced and of lower quality. I don't see it as being in ATRS' best interest to produce low quality products - their business is built on a reputation of ultra high quality. Maybe if they crunch the numbers and can afford to do the R&D for a $1k rifle and can reliably sell enough to beat their profits from the Modern Hunter as well as any possible impact on their image for super reliable accurate guns then they probably will.

Also keep in mind what a hand made ar10 will cost you in Canada, because that's what you're getting. It's not a mass produced factory gun, it's a match rifle built to take abuse. Anyways, that's my take on it - I absolutely understand that the price is out of reach for a lot of people, and there are options in almost every category from $600 - $3000, but very few of this quality.

I thought you guys could make a version without the match grade barrel and trigger, just that would save a lot.
    But I never meant Norinco quality, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Only if we could interest Norinco in producing a very small number of them. I say small number as the only country that I can think of that these have any appeal in is Canada, due to our silly laws.
    The cost of the projects R&D would stagger you. Then add in the high cost of Canadian labor and it soon become apparent that the $3100.00 entry level is actually a very low cost given the market. The only way to get costs down are to either totally compromise quality and support or have them built off-shore, which will then totally compromise quality and support.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    From reading the threads on this, and there were literally thousands of posts that they condensed to keep the asked and answered questions and pare out the rest.......almost no one who handles these, starts to put together a build sheet....opts for the $3100 price point base gun. Most builds have the upgraded barrel, choices in furniture, and come in at 5K.

Search around on some of the sponsors, other comparable rifles which are basically mass produced, restricted, and simply are tricked out with furniture and rails are going for this price. This is basically a semi custom build for a top end of factory cost.

If i am in a position too ...when the modern magnum comes out .....i am in.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMe View Post
    I thought you guys could make a version without the match grade barrel and trigger, just that would save a lot.
    But I never meant Norinco quality, hell no.
    The trigger is not something that can be changed in any respect, and frankly what we are using for trigger is not significantly more money than buying a decent LPK.
    If a $50.00 to $100.00 saving on a barrel is a deal maker then we can use a lesser quality barrel, but it is exactly the same amount of time to turn out a fair quality barrel as it is a known and proven match barrel.

Guys you have to understand 80% of the gun is proprietary parts meaning we have to make them from scratch. 10% of the parts we can purchase but need to modify to make them work. The other 10% are things like the butt stock and hand guards which we are sourcing in significant enough quantities to get the very best pricing available.
    We are no where near big enough for robotic assembly so each part and each gun are finished and assembled by hand, and by guys who are very passionate about what we produce.
    If stamped tin parts and machine assembly were employed the rifles would be cheaper, unfortunately they are not, we are building guns about the hardest and most cost ineffcient way possible. The bright side of this is that as anyone who has handled one will attest, they are extremely well made and fit/finish are second to none.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Well i for one hope you keep turning these out for a few years at least. That's what its gonna take foe me to save up for one Hand made in Canada by hard working Canadians A+ in my books

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Only if we could interest Norinco in producing a very small number of them. I say small number as the only country that I can think of that these have any appeal in is Canada, due to our silly laws.
    The cost of the projects R&D would stagger you. Then add in the high cost of Canadian labor and it soon become apparent that the $3100.00 entry level is actually a very low cost given the market. The only way to get costs down are to either totally compromise quality and support or have them built off-shore, which will then totally compromise quality and support.
    Guys anyone who has tried to run a business in Alberta that requires skilled labor will face the issue of competing with oil field wages. Case in point a HD mechanic in my home town in Ontario makes 22-28 an hr. Here in Edmonton a in town position is between 38-45 an hr and jobs in the oil field go quite a bit higher than in town jobs. Keeping a skilled labor staff like machinists isn't easy or cheap for all the non oil patch business here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12