Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22LR shortage ?

Question 22LR shortage ?

I am new to the sport and have noticed that 22lr are hard to find on line everywhere seems to have them back ordered or just "no stock" next to the price. I have a LGS that always seems to have them at a good price, so should i stock up on them while i can ?

Also why do they seem to be harder to find them anything else ?

And what is a good price for them when i find them ?

I bought 2 x 100 cci mini mag copper plated 40 grain target rounds for $18 plus tax, is that good or bad ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lyman54's Avatar
    Shortage has been going on for a couple of years now. Started in the US and now here. It's mainly because of guys hoarding whatever ammo they see. that's what happened in the States because of Obama. Don't think you overpaid, CCI is always more expensive.
    If guns cause crime, mine must be defective

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    I don't normally buy 22LR in lots of less than 500, and usually 1000 or more if I see a good price. Buying at $9.00 a hundred isn't too bad for CCI. Basically due to supply/demand, buy it when you see it.
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

Thank you guys, I will go back tomorrow and buy more then and horde them if thats the case, like I said he always seems to have them but I have to have at least 500 for a club qualification that i am trying to join and would hate to run out and that would be the time he does not have them.

Why is there an ammo shortage ? and is it only 22's ?

It's a consumer/hype made shortage. More people are into shooting and there are more sr22 type rifles out there chambered in 22lr so more people are looking for 22lr. Add some media hype that there's a shortage and people start buying up all the ammo they can find and that means a shortage. If you buy what you need, vs buy everything the store has there wouldn't be a shortage. All these guys hoarding tens of thousands of rounds doesn't help. Add on prepping and the zombie craze and we are out of ammo. It is more than 22lr, but that is the main focus as it's cheaper and people buy more of it when they see it. Happy shooting!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CdnCombatMedic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XERXIES_333 View Post
    Thank you guys, I will go back tomorrow and buy more then and horde them if thats the case
    That's the problem right there.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnCombatMedic View Post
    That's the problem right there.
    He said he needs 500 for a club qualification... If that's the case he should bring his numbers up to at least 1000, so when he burns through the 500 he'll still have about a brick left to shoot.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law."
    -Winston Churchill
    “...there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.”
    -Charles Travis Postelwaite

Quote Originally Posted by nullshine View Post
    He said he needs 500 for a club qualification... If that's the case he should bring his numbers up to at least 1000, so when he burns through the 500 he'll still have about a brick left to shoot.
    What's the definition of hording?

I don't think hoarding has an effect on supply. Say you and a hoarder buy a case. You shoot yours and the hoarder sits on his. Next trip to the store, same thing. So weather or not the ammo is actually used shouldn't matter. Once it's purchased, it's needed to be restocked. No difference if empty shells in the trash or brand new cartridges hidden in a safe. Still disposed of

Quote Originally Posted by GeoShooter View Post
    I don't think hoarding has an effect on supply. Say you and a hoarder buy a case. You shoot yours and the hoarder sits on his. Next trip to the store, same thing. So weather or not the ammo is actually used shouldn't matter. Once it's purchased, it's needed to be restocked. No difference if empty shells in the trash or brand new cartridges hidden in a safe. Still disposed of
    Well when you have someone that keeps cleaning out the shelves, it's creats panic and the illusion of short supply so others tend to stock up when they don't really need it. It's a vicious circle. If everyone bought what they needed there would be some left for others. There was an article on this very thing by an ammo manufacturer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast