Thread: How clean is clean?

CGN frequent flyer

How clean is clean?

Hi guys, I know technically guns can take some/lots abuse and still functioning, and don't really want to sound like a clean freak.
    However, each time, even after I clean the bore with solvent, dry patch through multiple times until it looks clean. When applying the light oil, the patch is black again. what's going on? and exactly how clean is considered clean?
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Don't worry about it.
    There's people who spend more time worrying about how many nano grams of carbon are left in their barrel than they actually do shooting and enjoying their rifles.
    If you run a brush a couple times, then a couple patches, then one patch with oil to keep it CLP'ed then that's it!
    Basically what is happening though is that the oil slowly sweats out the carbon from the steel over time. So it will be spotless for a couple minutes when you check but slowly the oil will pull more carbon out of the metal (which is what it's designed to do.)
    You're never going to get it to come perfectly clean and there is absolutely no point in getting it there even if you could. Don't stress too much about keeping your rifles fresh off the assembly line clean. It's a futile waste of energy.
    Hope that helps Sir!
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN frequent flyer
    Thank you Sir. That puts my mind at ease over the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Don't worry about it.
    There's people who spend more time worrying about how many nano grams of carbon are left in their barrel than they actually do shooting and enjoying their rifles.
    If you run a brush a couple times, then a couple patches, then one patch with oil to keep it CLP'ed then that's it!
    Basically what is happening though is that the oil slowly sweats out the carbon from the steel over time. So it will be spotless for a couple minutes when you check but slowly the oil will pull more carbon out of the metal (which is what it's designed to do.)
    You're never going to get it to come perfectly clean and there is absolutely no point in getting it there even if you could. Don't stress too much about keeping your rifles fresh off the assembly line clean. It's a futile waste of energy.
    Hope that helps Sir!
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Don't worry about it.
    Hope that helps Sir!
    You were on a roll until you said the carbon comes out of the steel which is just completely untrue.

But Ya I clean my stuff decent, but don't worry about white glove clean.

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    Hi guys, I know technically guns can take some/lots abuse and still functioning, and don't really want to sound like a clean freak.
    However, each time, even after I clean the bore with solvent, dry patch through multiple times until it looks clean. When applying the light oil, the patch is black again. what's going on? and exactly how clean is considered clean?
    imho...you're doing just fine.

CGN Regular
    I never know how much CLP to leave on as "lube" after cleaning? Should there be a visible film? Or apply and lightly wipe?

If you can see it and your not storing it for long periods of time, its probably too much
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"