Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge chamber inserts...

CGN Regular
    And ...

I'd be in for 12g rifled inserts in any 7.62/30 cal size rifle cartridge as long as they are more than 12". I find those 8" Chiappa's a little bit short for my liking. If they could be purchased individually it would be a big plus at $50 each I'd buy every caliber I shoot.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    If these things were more accurate, I'd love one, but they seem to rely on hokey things like rubber rings for fitting. Is there any way to improve accuracy, maybe some form of bedding perhaps?

If you could permanently attach a 45ACP adapter to a beat up single shot 12ga, that would be a fun rifle if it shot 4 moa.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Chiappa does sell the insert package seperatly, however i own an excalibur and the inserts are slightly too big for any other shotgun i have tried to put them inso far. I tried my warrior gen 1 and 2, mossburg over under, a friends browning over under, and a DA outlaw sxs

CGN frequent flyer
    i'd take one that converts my backpacker to:
    7.62X39
    .303 brit
    9mm
    .45acp

BANNED
    No. The short-barrel issue only applies to center fire semi-autos, which is why you can have short-barreled pump/break action shotguns in the first place.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyy View Post
    say you have an outlaw, short barrel shotgun. You put a 9MM or 357 adapter in it for example. Now you have a center fire that is Not min. 18.5in barrel..hmmm..so? Other then .22 & shotgun calibers, wouldn't any other center fire caliber insert only be for 18.5inch barreled shotguns{& up}? Shorter then that would make it restricted, based on overall/barrel length? No/Yes??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Ahh, makez sense..seeing we have the Ranch Hands etc in .357/44Mag etc... Thnx!

lets talk about these again... there is huge demand for these in Canada and in USA
    Many sellers in States are out of stock constantly for these...
    My only question is WTF?
    Why these are not readily available in CANADA?

Quote Originally Posted by PECHENEG View Post
    lets talk about these again... there is huge demand for these in Canada and in USA
    Many sellers in States are out of stock constantly for these...
    My only question is WTF?
    Why these are not readily available in CANADA?
    I think it has to do with Canada being a small market (in the grand scheme).

After the cost of tooling (in house) or finding a manufacturer overseas that can produce them (usually only in larger bulk quantity or initial order), plus shipping/duty etc the per cost piece doesn't seem that far off what it is now.
    There's also the question of calibers, which do you make? As every change in calibers will again require different tooling adding to cost. Safety and quality are also a factor, the materials the manufacturer uses, heat treating etc.

Pair that with the fact the US is supposedly a nightmare to import anything firearms related into, and it cuts out a large market (that already has internal competition)

Reviews usually aren't stellar on them either, rifling or not.
    Which is kinda due to inherently what they are: A round within a tube, within a tube, requiring clearance to slide into each-other freely, and slight variations from shotgun to shotgun, all adding up to compounding error.

That's also basically how we're ending up with them at $30+ per adapter, after import cost from the States or small private shops manufacturing them, there's just not much to be made on them.
    We are not who we are, but as we would make ourselves to be.

A lot of the tolerance issues could be dealt with if there was a set designed to work along with a specific shotgun (like the 14" Dominions), or maybe just a specific barrel length. You could use a self centering threaded bushing at the muzzle end to install it securely.

Totally eliminates a lot of the utility though

CGN Ultra frequent flyer migrant hunter's Avatar
    I just bought a couple from Dina in the US, .22 and .357.
    Hope to get out this afternoon to try them in my single shorty.