Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle velocity of HSM .44 Magnum "Bear Load"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer49 View Post
    The ads ...
    The magazine ads ... I hope that I am wrong ... were (by current standards) ghastly. As bad as it can get. But I am super-tired and am taking some serious meds for a vicious bout of gout ... So what I say should be taken with a huge grain-of-salt.

You mean the one with the hunter posing with the dead Gorilla? It was pretty cool I thought, anyway this gun is in excellent shape and made in 1976. I don't want to damage it though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
    You mean the one with the hunter posing with the dead Gorilla? It was pretty cool I thought, anyway this gun is in excellent shape and made in 1976. I don't want to damage it though.
    Yes, that's the one I still remember. Much has changed since that time. I wonder what vintage the ads were ... my dad subscribed to three different outdoorsy magazines when I was a kid ... Sports Afield, Field & Stream, and Outdoor Life.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer49 View Post
    Yes, that's the one I still remember. Much has changed since that time. I wonder what vintage the ads were ... my dad subscribed to three different outdoorsy magazines when I was a kid ... Sports Afield, Field & Stream, and Outdoor Life.
    It just took a minute to find an image of the ad in the Smith & Wesson forum. I just Googled "Ruger" and "carbine" and "gorilla". It's a gross picture. The gorilla was apparently hunted-down for a museum.

You may not get enough penetration with that bullet from a rifle length barrel (faster = expands to quickly).

I would go with a jacketed bullet of some sort for bear.

I own a Ruger 44 carbine dated 1976 and it shoots 300 gr Hornady XTPs under a max load of H110 as good as anything else. The only issue with the carbine shooting lead bullets is that over time, it can dirty the gas port and is actually advised against by Ruger. That said, a gas checked bullet may decrease the likelihood and if you are not shooting high volumes of lead ammo, it may be ok.

FWIW hard cast bullets will penetrate deeeeep at any 44 Mag velocity whether from a handgun or rifle. The Barnes buster is a much more expensive alternative if you are looking for a completely jacketed bullet capable of maximum penetration. You tube 444 Marlin Barnes Buster.....

astuart44
    Canada Post will only insure firearms that are shipped in a hard plastic case with a lock on it. Cost is $2.75 for every $100 of insurance. I will not assume any responsibility for loss or damages by Canada Post. All items are sold AS IS and do not come with any warranty. Payment required within 24 hrs of your commitment to purchase or item will be sold to another member.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    You may not get enough penetration with that bullet from a rifle length barrel (faster = expands to quickly).

I would go with a jacketed bullet of some sort for bear.
    Sure. OK. Thanks for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12