Thread: IPSC for the uninformed.

IPSC for the uninformed.

Hi!

What's the difference between minor and major?
    Production division requires the ability to decock?

I'm new to shooting, and went to the range to watch an IPSC club match the other day. Looks way more fun than just standing at the ports.

My new found shooting hobby has led me to buy three 1911 style handguns (one in .22, one in 9mm, and one in .45)
    What class/division would I be able to join?

I've tried surfing the web to discover this information on my own - but can't seem to find a well presented, easily understood breakdown of the classes with the requirements and differences between them.

Thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MartyK2500's Avatar
    With your 9mm and 45 1911s you will be able to shoot in the classic division. As long as they meet the requirements listed on the website (no rails, fits in the box, etc...), at worst you would be placed in standard and could still shoot for fun/to learn.
    Production division does not necessarely require to decock (ie glock), here is the list of approved production division firearms
    http://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php

Major and minor represent power. When you shoot major you are rewarded with more points since you deal with more power.
    In factory loads, your 9mm would likely score minor and your 45 would likely score major. There is more to it than what i am explaining right now but these are the big lines of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyK2500 View Post
    Major and minor represent power. When you shoot major you are rewarded with more points since you deal with more power.
    Not exactly. Major; 5-4-2. Minor; 5-3-1. Poor hits (i.e. less-accurate marksmanship) are penalized, and the lesser cartridge is penalized more.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MartyK2500's Avatar
    Yep exactly, was trying to keep things as simple as can be to get a quick glance at it.
    You are right as in next time i should say instead : you are less penalized for poor hits shooting major.

Out of curiosity - why no rails allowed on IPSC guns? Does that mean I couldn't use my 9mm Jericho if I wanted to get involved?
    NFA & CSSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terapr0 View Post
    Out of curiosity - why no rails allowed on IPSC guns? Does that mean I couldn't use my 9mm Jericho if I wanted to get involved?
    No rails in classic, look at the approved list for production your gun is on it (unless something has changed since I last checked it)
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

Cool thanks for the info
    NFA & CSSA Member