Thread: Shrink group size with stock upgrade?

Shrink group size with stock upgrade?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new shooter and I started with a Savage MKII FV-SR. I mounted a scope on it and have been improving by leaps and bounds every week. A guy at the range I was chatting with mentioned changing out the crappy plastic stock for something more suited for what I'm doing. Will it help that much?

Thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Maybe. Most people's issues with the polymer stocks are that they may not allow the barrel to be free floating, and that if you're using a bipod the weight of the rifle can cause the forestock to bend a bit and touch the barrel.

Having a pressure point on the barrel can be fine, but only if it's consistent and sturdy.

Another thing that may help is bedding the action. That way you can get even contact between the stock and the action, rather than potential uneven stresses.

So switching to a new stock can have definite improvements, but only if done right. Another potential huge benefit is of you get a stock that has some adjustments such as length of pull or comb height, that will let you fit it exactly to you for the best shooting posture.

If you want to check if your barrel is free floating, use a strip of paper or a five dollar bill or something to slide along the barrel and into the stock. However, if your forestock flexes, your barrel may be free floating at home, but touching somewhere when you use your bipod or another rest.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

...and bedding.

BANNED
    And free floating isn't a guarantee of anything. What you really need to do is try a box of as many brands of ammo as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. .22's are just like that.
    A Savage Mk II FV-SR isn't a target rifle either. Adjusting the trigger to about 3 pounds and trying ammo brands will help. Absolutely look at the stock for bending on the rest/bipod though.

CGN frequent flyer
    better stock is always a good upgrade. Good alignment on your shoulder and better grip on the rifle will improve the groups. Boyds stocks are nice. I got one on my remington and i saw improvement as soon as i put it on.

In new shooters trigger manipulation can be the cause of poor accuracy. As suggested try different brands of ammunition at a variety of velocities. What distance are we talking about? Are you resting the rifle?

One big thing on these MKIIs is the comb height. Resting your head/cheek in a different spot each shot can change your POI. I am in the process of making a custom cheek riser for mine.

I also plan to bed the action so it doesn't wiggle. Not as much of a concern on these rifles, frankly, because of the low recoil.

Also try different ammo. My FV likes Sellier and Belliot best, it seems... but I can never find it!
    Analyze targets http://reloaderscloud.appspot.com/servlet/home/targetmaster

'55/'56 Tula "Letter Gun" SKS - '38 Izhevsk 91/30 - Henry H001 - Savage Mk II FV w/ Bushnell 3-9x40 - Rossi Single Shot 12G