Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modern Hunter Caliber Choice

I have yet to order one up but when I get around to picking one up 243 will be the caliber of choice, 308 is covered by my m1a.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I went with the .308 due to the availability of reloading components and type of game I'm after. The other reason being my plan to mount a specter DR 1.5-6 ballistic reticle

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by djt View Post
    I went with the .308 due to the availability of reloading components and type of game I'm after. The other reason being my plan to mount a specter DR 1.5-6 ballistic reticle
    Are you set on that ballistic reticle?
    The reason I'm asking is simply that, if you change any environmental conditions or loads, your reticle will be off.... If you change altitude, temperatures, bullet weight, powder type, or switch between factory ammunition manufacturers. If you really like that reticle, and are prepared for it, then I hope you have great success with it. Me, I'm partial to MoA reticles. Then if I change any of the aforementioned variables, atleast my reticle is in a standard unit of measure, and I can adjust accordingly. Just food for thought.
    Last edited by ShaunM; 01-12-2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: ps. I went 308.

I've found the Dr in 5.56 to be very accurate and fast to judge range and acquire my targets. Running coyotes were impossible before I bought this sight. My main purpose for this gun is mid to large game in northern Ontario. The moose camp I hunt at has a diverse landscape with dense bush , rock ridges, and valleys allowing for short range only, these areas are broken up by large swamps and lowland meadows that can extend beyond 2000 meters. For the ranges I would use this setup atmospheric conditions should not drop me out of the kill zone...
    I see what you're saying though. I'm partial to ffp mil hash for my long range rig.

I've been mind screwing myself going over my options since I placed my order but still feel I need the low magnification of the Dr. Opening day moose season in dense bush I'm confronted by two bulls ten yards apart 40 feet from me. A 6x24 -50 really sucks in those conditions... So does the calf tag ... All I got was a poor picture of two bull asses
    Last edited by djt; 01-12-2015 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
    Are you set on that ballistic reticle?
    The reason I'm asking is simply that, if you change any environmental conditions or loads, your reticle will be off.... If you change altitude, temperatures, bullet weight, powder type, or switch between factory ammunition manufacturers. If you really like that reticle, and are prepared for it, then I hope you have great success with it. Me, I'm partial to MoA reticles. Then if I change any of the aforementioned variables, atleast my reticle is in a standard unit of measure, and I can adjust accordingly. Just food for thought.
    I agree completly, other then I prefer MIL based reticles...

My purpose for the rifle is mainly target shooting between 100m and 900+m and so I ordered mine in 6.5 Creedmoor. I struggled with the choice between 6.5 CM and 260 REM and eventually decided to not worry about the brass availability so much and just have fun with an interesting caliber. In the very near future I will also be order a new upper assembly in .308 (when the uppers are available for order) or just a new .308 barrel.

ATRS is looking into availability of small-base sizing dies for 6.5 CM and so this may ultimately be the deciding factor... I'll switch to 260 REM if dies are an issue.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by djt View Post
    I've found the Dr in 5.56 to be very accurate and fast to judge range and acquire my targets. Running coyotes were impossible before I bought this sight. My main purpose for this gun is mid to large game in northern Ontario. The moose camp I hunt at has a diverse landscape with dense bush , rock ridges, and valleys allowing for short range only, these areas are broken up by large swamps and lowland meadows that can extend beyond 2000 meters. For the ranges I would use this setup atmospheric conditions should not drop me out of the kill zone...
    I see what you're saying though. I'm partial to ffp mil hash for my long range rig.

I've been mind screwing myself going over my options since I placed my order but still feel I need the low magnification of the Dr. Opening day moose season in dense bush I'm confronted by two bulls ten yards apart 40 feet from me. A 6x24 -50 really sucks in those conditions... So does the calf tag ... All I got was a poor picture of two bull asses
    Fair enough, if it's what you like then excellent :-D I just caution anyone getting into those reticles unknowingly thinking that it will make all the decisions for them.

Was it a good picture atleast? ;-)

6.5 cm? Pretty sure that would qualify as a cannon

Ohhhh, CREEDmoor, not centimetre. My mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by C.Magnet View Post
    6.5 cm? Pretty sure that would qualify as a cannon
    Now that's funny!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast