Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Prophet River Pricing

Some people have no idea how hard it is to get inventory in this industry, and with our dollar dropping so much this past year it's a wonder why prices haven't gone up more! PEOPLE if you find the gun you want in stock and it's $50 more than the guy that doesn't have it in stock, buy it! Trust me as a guy that was in the business, there isn't margin in this stuff. You are not getting ripped off. If there is a $2000 gun the retailer is lucky to make a few hundy on it. Suck it up and buy if it's the one your after!

I too have shopped with Prophet River and found hard-to-find items that no one else had.
    Even so, the prices were competitive and I was happy with my purchase.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

I hope my u.s optics I ordered comes soon. 😃 then again I'm busy so whenever is good can't complain I've always got good service.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    Thanks Clay.... CGN is a better place with you around... JP.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    That was a very fair and balanced response. Thank's for taking the time.

I have did business with Prophet River before and were great in Service & Pricing.So the Folks at Prophet River do not listen to the Whiners.Good Luck

I have purchased several guns from Clay and have never paid anymore than I would have at any other vendor not to mention some of the best service ever. If you want it Prophet River can find it for you.

I have dealt with Prophet River many times in the last few years as I said in the earlier thread, as well as several other on-line stores. One thing I have learned is Clay and his staff hands down are the best of the bunch when it comes to service by a long shot. I recently talked to them about bringing in a couple of CZ Redheads and he was more then willing to do it...but sorry I found what I was looking for at another dealer with I price I would not of even considered asking Clay to match so I bought them there. Does that mean I think Prophet River was trying to rip me off...Hell No...and when Prophet River has what I want at a price I am willing to pay I will be more then happy to deal with them on it and even willing to pay a little bit more (key word been little) for the top notch service they offer.
    Thanks for giving us your perspective on this Clay...you and your staff are terrific.

Jim
    "I am the midnight watchman down at Miller's Tool and Die.
    And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."

I WILL NOT COMPLY!!
    WEXIT

I think you guys run a great show
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
    Sorry, I've been away on business all day today and missed all the posts.

Firstly, thanks to the mods for locking out the threads in my absence. Much appreciated. However, we are not worried about discussion about our pricing here or anywhere. I'll start this thread and leave it open to civil comments.

Secondly, thanks for the kind words made by most posters , we truly appreciate it.

While I'm not certain of the motivation of the OP, its fine to open discussion on pricing. I haven't had time to read through both threads in depth, I've scanned through them. I'll cover a few points tonight and more as discussion evolves.

The OP mentions a consignment Norinco that appears to be over-priced. As a few posters mentioned this is not totally our choice by any means. While we guide our clients in pricing we allow them to make the final decision on what it to be listed. This is a tough call on policy as it can give the appearance that we are 'over -priced' but we feel that most shoppers realize that consignment sales mean items owned by individuals and not Prophet River. We sell several dozen rifles, handguns and shotguns this way each week. Those priced at or below market normally don't last long and those on the high side normally sit for some time. This fact leads to many of the higher priced items remaining while those that were not are sold and no longer on the site. I'm certainly not convinced that our pricing policy is perfect and best for the company, it seems to work and we get over 8000 visitors daily to out consignments online. Arguments could certainly be made that we would be better off refusing items we feel are priced to high, however, most customers are open to offers and many are long term customers that want to test the market and have perhaps overpaid for the item originally.

As for items actually in our inventory that posters feel are priced high. This is a very complex and evolving part of any retailer. We have over 7500 SKUs (different products) in our store currently. Its a big job to track them, make sure we make an acceptable margin and be competitive with other retailers. Are we the lowest price in Canada on each an every one of them? Of course not; shopping around for a product may lead a customer to find a better price or the same price closer to home, reducing shipping, etc. Are we higher than we should be on a handful of product? As a few poster pointed out; absolutely.

Threads such as the ones up today actually help us 'scout' other retailers so we can adjust pricing as we see fit to remain competitive. I'm quite certain there would be other products in the 7500 that are priced noticeably higher than at some other retailers such as the 77/22 one poster pointed out. There are, of course many reasons this can happen; one, is simply that its a mistake. Another common one is that the product was brought in when it was scarce and we paid a dear price just to get them into inventory. Very common also is competing with listings of other retailers when, in fact, its and older listing with them and they no longer have the product at all. (Not suggesting this is the case with the 77/22)

During the last couple of years some product has been difficult to obtain. Occasionally, by paying a premium we could inventory product. This is a tough call; is it better to have inventory at what could be seen as high priced or better to just avoid it. This happened to us a year or so ago when we were offered a few Dan Wessons at quite a premium. We made the call to take them and made no secret to our in store customers that the price may drop when inventory was more readily available. Most customers that wanted one just shrug it off and bought one anyway. Online, its a bit different as we risk the 'over - priced' label but we feel fortunate to deal with a majority of customers who are thankful for the inventory and realize how markets work when inventory in short supply.

To a lesser degree, it happened this past spring with 10/22's. We couldn't get a good deal on them as they were in short supply but we bought anyway and we were glad to get them. Our basic model 10/22's went out at 299.00 this past spring. Higher than normal for sure. Quite a few customers asked if we would match a big box retailer that had then on for 239.00 in a flyer. We refused as we had quite a bit more in them that that. However, most of those customers bought from us anyway as the sale was currently out of stock. We sold over 500 10/22's this spring so we were glad we bought them even though we were not able to get a great deal on them.

As for the Glock that was found cheaper at another retailer, there is a mistake made by us or by them as Glock has quite strict pricing policies and we, essentially, have little choice how we price them. We will ask for an updated pricing from Glock next week and update our price if its our mistake.

Customers of ours and other retailers should be ready for prices to fluctuate greatly soon. With wholesalers now offering at 2015 prices and with the US$ now costing approximately $1.20, new inventory will be much more expensive. It will likely be common to see firearms prices at one retailer for 20% or more above another. The explanation might be as simple as the lower retailer may not have adjusted to the cost of new inventory. Its no secret that, in firearms, margins run 20% on a good day and the Canadian dollar has dropped that much in the relative short term. You may find bargains out there where a firearm is priced at 2014(or earlier) and par dollars. If you do, take advantage
    A clear, rational, and composed response while both inviting constructive dialogue and not shirking the issue.

Kudo's to you, Sir.