Thread: Need help on grip tape

CGN frequent flyer

Need help on grip tape

Hi guys,

need your advices on grip tapes. I have a M&P40 and a glock 41 Gen 4. Not only I have sweaty hands, but also the glock gen 4 grip texture is too aggressive for me.
    Found this very cheap on amazon.ca, anyone used it before, any good? or Talon is the go-to tape as in "you get what you pay for"? Thanks in advance!
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    Hi guys,

need your advices on grip tapes. I have a M&P40 and a glock 41 Gen 4. Not only I have sweaty hands, but also the glock gen 4 grip texture is too aggressive for me.
    Found this very cheap on amazon.ca, anyone used it before, any good? or Talon is the go-to tape as in "you get what you pay for"? Thanks in advance!
    I just goto the local skate board shop.

I got grip tape thats still on my skateboard from before highschool.

CGN frequent flyer
    Great idea! heading to the store tomorrow. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    I just goto the local skate board shop.

I got grip tape thats still on my skateboard from before highschool.
    CSSA Life Member

I've used the skate board grip tape on 6 of my handguns so far. I get the best results if I wipe down the grip area with some 99% alcohol first, preheat the area with a heat gun, and then use the heat gun heat up the applied grip tape. I like to get it hot enough so it's a little uncomfortable to hold, and then use my hand to gip it and mold the grip tape on. Makes a huge difference on my Gen 2/3 Glocks and Grand Power handguns.
    Too many toys, too little time ...

CGN frequent flyer
    Thanks for the tips. So it's the same process like in the talon's video. I assume hair dryer will work too at the low setting?

Quote Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
    I've used the skate board grip tape on 6 of my handguns so far. I get the best results if I wipe down the grip area with some 99% alcohol first, preheat the area with a heat gun, and then use the heat gun heat up the applied grip tape. I like to get it hot enough so it's a little uncomfortable to hold, and then use my hand to gip it and mold the grip tape on. Makes a huge difference on my Gen 2/3 Glocks and Grand Power handguns.
    CSSA Life Member

Thanks for the tips. So it's the same process like in the talon's video. I assume hair dryer will work too at the low setting?
    Yup, Talon's just precut skateboard tape.

Remember there are different types, some can get pretty aggressive. If you find the Gen4 aggressive I'm not sure you'll be happy with grip tape.

CGN frequent flyer
    Thanks again for the info. If the grip tape is too aggressive still, I can use a 120 grit sand paper to sand it down a little bit which I don't think I want to do to the actual grip itself. It's $5 a roll(9"x33"), so plenty to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    Yup, Talon's just precut skateboard tape.

Remember there are different types, some can get pretty aggressive. If you find the Gen4 aggressive I'm not sure you'll be happy with grip tape.
    CSSA Life Member

I used the low setting on my heat gun. Not sure if that's equivalent to the high setting of a hair dryer. Here's a pic of 3 of my handguns taped up and ready to play.

That's a lot of GP's.

it's like potato chips - you can't just have one

Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    That's a lot of GP's.