Thread: Forbes vs Montana

Forbes vs Montana

I have been looking at both these manufacturers for my next rifle, I have not found any comparisons of the two on the web and was wondering if you could make a quick comparison of the two, pros and cons of each, etc. Thanks .

Contributing Dealer Prophet River's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .308ACADIAN View Post
    I have been looking at both these manufacturers for my next rifle, I have not found any comparisons of the two on the web and was wondering if you could make a quick comparison of the two, pros and cons of each, etc. Thanks .
    I'll reply more in a bit but the biggest diference is the weight. Montanas are more standard weight while forbes are amongst the lightest in the business. There were a few QC issues with the forbes a while back that caused headaches but accuracy good and they seem to have fixed the issues. If weight isn't an issue, I'd stay away from forbes as recoil is significant even on smaller cals. If weight is a consideration for a moutain type hunt, they are worth looking at.
    www.prophetriver.com
    inquiries - 780-875-0575 / info@prophetriver.com
    Prophet River Firearms
    4206 66th Ave
    Lloydminster, AB
    T9V 3S9

good to know if they fixed their QC issues.

I am starting to lean more towards the xwr in stainless only because its just a little cheaper, how would you compare the stock on the two, and if buying in 308 would the Forbes need more practice as far as adjusting for recoil?

308acadian. I am in Kingston you are welcome to try mine if you are in the area. Weight savings with the Forbes is primarily in the stock. Mine's 30.06. Im medium sized and not the least bothered by the recoil...primarily due to the great stock design. Ive owned both the Montana and Forbes and prefer the Forbes due to superior accuracy and less weight
    Last edited by burnsy56; 01-15-2015 at 04:48 PM.