Thread: Sighting In a New Rifle/Scope At the Range

Sighting In a New Rifle/Scope At the Range

Just wondering if i would look like a weirdo if i had a gun vise with me to sight in my new rifle/scope?

I've never done it before and i think having that vise will help me out a lot. I just feel weird walking to the bench with it lol

What do you guys do?

You can use sandbags, styrofoam use anything you want. if you want an easy way to sight in your scope.....get a buddy to come with you . set up your gun to shoot against a large target, fire one shot at dead centre of your target, when the bullet strikes , get your buddy to dial in your crosshairs where there shot hit , and voila you are centred. fire another to ensure that you are on target .
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of #### by the clean end.

Bah, do not worry, use whatever you are comfortable with. As long as it is stable and does the job. I adjust scopes at my range during hunting season and I use this:

I modified it to add 2 * 25 lbs barbells on it to soften the kick of some of these big rifles. I get great results! Once your rifle is set and you get bullseye aver bullseye on your target, the weird looks will fade away.

What do I do:
    - if it is a bolt action, I set the rifle down so it does not move and aim at a target at 50 yards through the barrel.
    - then I move my head up and adjust the scope to point at the same target.
    - this will get me on paper without wasting a single bullet.
    - then I can start shooting. Fire one round, adjust.
    - move to 100 yards, fire one round, adjust.
    - and keep going like this until you are at your preferred zero distance, or until you get the result you want.

BUT for this to work you have to make sure you isolate all other variables! So make sure you do not move that rifle when you shoot! If you cannot group well, adjusting a scope is impossible... Take your time, control your breathing, trigger, make sure your bench does not move, don't flinch, ... You know, all the basics :-)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aprilia Man's Avatar
    I bring my MTM Gun Vise with me.

Don't care what other people think .... I can sight in my rifle easier with the gun vise.
    CCFR MDRGC

Lots of people use them at my range to sight their scopes. Worry less of what other people think of you and worry more about how you feel about yourself.

sounds good! thanks for the replies everyone. i'll bring mine in ... its gonna be my first time going to the range on my own, with my very first firearm that Ive never shot.. was already feeling anxious

Don't be, shooting is a great sport ,expensive yes but when you go out and start knocking down targets. I find it the most relaxing thing.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of #### by the clean end.