Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can you window shop in person while waiting for your PAL/RPAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilidip View Post
    I've yet to find anyone in Manitoba that will even take a Handgun out of the case let alone let me handle it unless I can produce an rpal, has made this wait even more excruciating as I want to get shopping before all the price increases continue climbing due to the dollar.
    Take a ride down to Dominion Outdoors in Winkler or Jo-Brook in Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by smally21 View Post

Present yourself as a serious buyer and explain your intent...it would be foolish to turn away a prospective buyer because he is new to the sport..but let's be fair there are alot more people who "always meant to apply" than actually applied.
    I have had 2 very different experiences. At one store, I showed my PAL and could handle one or 2 pistols. The clerk was very kind and answered all my questions. At another store,(Cabelas) the clerk never wanted to answer my questions or show me pistols even if I explained that I'm currently waiting for my RPAL. So, I'm unlikely to buy from the second place. Even if I was very polite and explained why I still have not received my RPAL ( normal delays-Christmas etc), the clerk would not even listen! I was a bit disappointed.

I put a "down payment" for the full amount for my first rifle before my PAL came, after I got my license it was just paperwork and good to go. The store staff were helpful and understanding, and allowed me to take my time handling and choosing which firearm I wanted, without a license.

In Saskatchewan the big box stores wont let you touch a restricted unless you present a RPAL. I tried to "window shop" before I had my RPAL and had very negative experiences. None of them seem to care if they make a sale or not. The small gun shops I visited would simply hand me any firearm and be glad to answer any questions.

I've been asked for a license, but I was seriously looking to buy at the time. Other times, I've been allowed to play with a Tavor or M&P9 when I wasn't carrying my RPAL. I think it depends how much attention from regulators the store gets. Ie. big city=more precautions.

I headed out late so I only managed to visit three gun stores, one in Vernon, two in Kelowna.

DEL SELIN

Very busy and crowded. I was helped by a gentleman called Ed, who showed me several rifles and guns. Their selection is excellent. Pricing is fair. Ed was very nice and welcoming, other employees in the store seemed slightly more curt towards their customers, but nothing unacceptable. They were very busy, but Ed managed to spend 45 minutes showing me firearms. Of course I was upfront that a sale wouldn't happen today and invited him to serve customers anytime a new one would approach the counter. My impression was good and I will definitely shop there in the future. I'm not a fan of how crowded it was, but it's a price to pay for the selection available. Definitely my favorite selection wise.

WEBER & MAKIN

I was the only customer here and was able to spend a good half an hour handling rifles and handguns. Chris (Weber) was very friendly, knowledgeable, and welcoming despite my lack of RPAL. The selection is OK, obviously not as good as Del Selin. But it's a clean little shop that doesn't make you feel crowded. It's also way less busy so the shopping experience feels a lot more relaxed and less rushed. Price wise, I'm not sure how it compares to Del Selin, but I have seen decent prices on a couple of items for which I knew the street price. I was offered to buy and have the items held by them until a valid PAL is produced. My favorite from a customer service standpoint.

GROUSE RIVER

Surprisingly, even Grouse River, a big outdoor store, let me handle a few firearms without RPAL. The guy at the counter was nice and didn't mind my predicament. He also offered the possibility of buying and then collecting once the PAL arrives. Prices are on the higher end side but they also have some firearms that neither of the other two had in stock (e.g., Browning Buckmark). The interaction was a lot shorter than the other two stores and there was a lot less of "hey check this one out" volunteering by the clerk. That said, they had some nice used items and I have no complaints. Should I want a firearm that they have in stock, I won't have a problem buying it here.

So to answer my own question, window shopping seems to be OK in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter dave View Post
    Keep looking. That's retarded. I've never been asked to produce a license until it's time to buy.
    lol. I have the exact opposite experience. I have never been able to handle a firearm at a store without showing them my pal.

Wholesale Sports store policy seems to be that they want to see your PAL/RPAL before they will let you handle a gun. It's not consistent and I felt that it wasn't the fault of the individuals, but the policy. I have my RPAL so I just flash it if I want to handle a gun there. I've bought every new gun I own from Wanstalls so they all know me and only check my PAL when I make a purchase of ammo or guns.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    I've been on both sides of the OP's question. When I was waiting for my RPAL, i was in a hurry to buy a couple of guns, the store knew my circumstance. I would come by every few weeks and drop a payment off. The owner would smile and ask if I wanted to fondle my gun(s) while I was there. No issues at all. I believe it is the law ( could be wrong here) and most store policy that they have to ask for a PAL/RPAL when you want to see a gun. It is their assurance that you have taken the course and that you know firearms safety and can be trusted. However, for potential buyers with no PALs, it should not deter a store from showing you anything. It should just be that they pay a bit more attention to you when you handle the firearm just to be sure you are safe. Any store that refuses to show a person, in the OP's position, a gun is just turning away a potential sale.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

In addition to my previous entries, I'd like to add Wholesale Sports and Canadian Tire in West Kelowna.

WHOLESALE SPORTS

Decent customer care with no pressure and no crowding by other customers. Decent selection, despite the lack of CZ. Excellent prices. No issue about checking out the guns with no PAL. I love this store already from different hobbies (fishing, knives, etc), so I will probably shop here in the future.

CANADIAN TIRE

Fairly busy and stocked by only one guy at the time. He immediately asked me for a PAL. I explained my "waiting" status and he somewhat reluctantly let me handle one cheapo Savage. Their selection was very limited at least in the .22LR bolt action category. I'm not saying I wouldn't shop there when the PAL arrives, but for the firearm itself I might favor the small guys or GR / Wholesale instead.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast