Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can you window shop in person while waiting for your PAL/RPAL?

Cabelas here in Edmonton won't even take a handgun out of the case if you don't have a RPAL (which I'm waiting for). With so many choices and different manufacturers, I think it helps to get the feel of many of them before you choose. Been there a dozen times to look at stuff so I think they know I am serious about a purchase eventually. I mean its a certainty that you will be buying more then one! Plus accessories.
    I will remember that when I do finally get my RPAL and am ready to buy.
    Will be checking out a couple more shops in the area.
    Did my courses at P&D but didn't look at their handguns yet.
    Wonder what their policy is?

Went to Basspro in calgary and same thing they right away asked to see my PAL, i just said "nevermind" and walked away.

CGN Regular
    I did just this and they would not let me hold them, but it did get them out so I could take a look at them.

I have visited a bunch of stores and had no issues handling guns and being asked to see my PAL. I have no experience with handguns though as I don't have my RPAL and wasn't planning on looking at them at this point. Cabelas, P&D, Tier One Armoury and Wholesale sports have not asked for my PAL. Just go in there wearing some camo and they will assume you are an experienced hunter....

In my area, I've been to both Gobles and Bullseye's at least twice. I've explained I'm waiting for my license, and trying to gather information and see what choices are available. At both I was allowed to hold restricted's as well as NR's (pistols at Bullseye's, a 16" CX4 at Gobles).
    At both places the staff was super helpful and friendly.
    BrotherRockeye - "It's not supposed to make sense, it's the FA."
    Varsil - "You may not be interested in politics, but the instant you're a gun owner politics is interested in you."

Quote Originally Posted by PARKINGLOT View Post
    In my area, I've been to both Gobles and Bullseye's at least twice. I've explained I'm waiting for my license, and trying to gather information and see what choices are available. At both I was allowed to hold restricted's as well as NR's (pistols at Bullseye's, a 16" CX4 at Gobles).
    At both places the staff was super helpful and friendly.
    I've never had issues with Goble's either, even when they know I am waiting for my license. That said, I've been with RPAL holders each time, but I've still been allowed to handle firearms without issue. Even an AR15!

Seems Cabelas in Barrie doesnt mind where NR is concerned. Restricted, they will ask to see your RPAL specifically. I understand thats a company policy.

I was at Cabela's in Winnipeg the other day as I wanted to find another .22lr for my wife. Talked to the clerk and explained I was looking for something smaller than my GSG for my wife and I then asked to see the Browning 1911-22. Clerk asked if my wife had her Rpal and I advised she did not but I did and produced mine. He was adamant at that point he could show me but under no circumstances could my Wife touch the gun the see how it fit in her hands. He was apologetic but stated quite positively that this was in fact the law. I questioned this based on I can take her to the range and she can shoot my guns under my supervision but she can't even handle one in the store? He said yes that's correct because of the crazy gun laws in Canada.

sail will let you,

The two stores that I know of in Red Deer (wolverine and sportsmens den) will let you handle anything without showing your licence. The south end canadian tire needs to see a pal to handle anything (they even asked me for my licence when buying a magazine for a savage .22)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast