Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can you window shop in person while waiting for your PAL/RPAL?

Can you window shop in person while waiting for your PAL/RPAL?

I was wondering if most stores will allow you to "window shop" while you are waiting for your PAL/RPAL.

I'd love to shop locally once the RPAL arrives (hopefully in a couple of month at most), but in the meantime I'd like to be able to handle a few in the shop, ask questions, get recommendations, etc. This would enable me to make a wish list and save up for when I'm actually allowed to buy firearms and ammo.

In your experience is this kosher or a bad idea?

Thank you.

CGN frequent flyer In The Black's Avatar
    Most stores will embrace someone coming into the hobby / sport.

I have never witnessed any of my local stores turn away a non pal or rpal holder.

I have read stories of people being asked for their PAL prior to being handed the firearm, but not in my area.

I say go for it. If you have friends that shoot, ask to tag along to the range. It may give you the chance to try a few.

good luck.

ITB
    -CSSA-
    -CCFR-
    -NFA-
    -CPC-

some of the bigger box stores will ask for one but its all just store policy. There is no law saying that you cant hold a gun with or with out a PAL. Example: taking non PAL holders out shooting with you...Its legal to let them hold and even shoot under your supervision. Go for it. The stores with the most knowledgably and helpful staff will be your best bet.

Welcome to the hobby (addiction )

Quote Originally Posted by In The Black View Post

I have read stories of people being asked for their PAL prior to being handed the firearm, but not in my area.

ITB

That happened to me in Edmonton. So, it cost them a sale of a new handgun when I got my RPAL.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    I actually bought my first pistol before my rpal arrived. Anyone can buy a gun, you just can't leave the store with out a PAL or RPAL.

I've yet to find anyone in Manitoba that will even take a Handgun out of the case let alone let me handle it unless I can produce an rpal, has made this wait even more excruciating as I want to get shopping before all the price increases continue climbing due to the dollar.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drifter dave's Avatar
    Keep looking. That's retarded. I've never been asked to produce a license until it's time to buy.
    G96 smells awesome.
    Member, CSSA & CCFR.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilidip View Post
    I've yet to find anyone in Manitoba that will even take a Handgun out of the case let alone let me handle it unless I can produce an rpal, has made this wait even more excruciating as I want to get shopping before all the price increases continue climbing due to the dollar.
    Try asking to see high end stuff...they seem to be more helpful

Bought my handgun a month before my rpal arrived. There was a good sale on. They were quite happy to hold it till my license arrived
    " Me......I always tell the truth, even when I lie". Tony Montana

Where's my illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator

Go window shopping!
    If they ask for your Pal before handling any firearms, explain to them exactly like you did here...that you are waiting for your Rpal to be processed and you are window shopping right now. If they still say no...then tell them , too bad, I was hoping you'd like a new customer in the near future...guess I'll go shopping elsewhere. That should set them straight!

I understand that some stores want to see your Pal first so they don't waste time with tire kickers who are unable to purchase but that seems like a silly policy to me and a potentially costly one for the business!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast