Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Can you window shop in person while waiting for your PAL/RPAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilidip View Post
    I was at Cabela's in Winnipeg the other day as I wanted to find another .22lr for my wife. Talked to the clerk and explained I was looking for something smaller than my GSG for my wife and I then asked to see the Browning 1911-22. Clerk asked if my wife had her Rpal and I advised she did not but I did and produced mine. He was adamant at that point he could show me but under no circumstances could my Wife touch the gun the see how it fit in her hands. He was apologetic but stated quite positively that this was in fact the law. I questioned this based on I can take her to the range and she can shoot my guns under my supervision but she can't even handle one in the store? He said yes that's correct because of the crazy gun laws in Canada.
    The guy at Cabela's is full of ???p.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by netguy1999 View Post
    The guy at Cabela's is full of ???p.
    May be their company's policy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    May be their company's policy, though.
    Maybe. I took my daughter to Cabela's in AB and they let her hold a pistol. Maybe a breach in policy? Or maybe the other guy is just being a jerk. In any event, it is not the law.

BANNED
    I only have to show my PAL when I'm window-shopping for the guns that can shoot into space.

Cannon

Italian Sporting Goods in Vancouver, BC does not allow non license holders to inspect any of their firearms. This was with my father before I actually started the process of getting a PAL, I don't disagree with the policy now, but they made it seem like it was against the law. I walked out feeling stupid/embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by okshooter View Post
    I was wondering if most stores will allow you to "window shop" while you are waiting for your PAL/RPAL.

I'd love to shop locally once the RPAL arrives (hopefully in a couple of month at most), but in the meantime I'd like to be able to handle a few in the shop, ask questions, get recommendations, etc. This would enable me to make a wish list and save up for when I'm actually allowed to buy firearms and ammo.

In your experience is this kosher or a bad idea?

Seems like an excellent idea to me, but then again that's exactly what I've been doing (albeit with a NR PAL coming, not the RPAL).

Aside from stores, I would recommend you visit gun shows and hunting/fishing shows. I've visited three shows in the last two months and one store near Ottawa and have never been asked for a PAL or RPAL. I was able to handle several black guns to check the ergonomic fit (Tavor 21, HK SL-8, Robinsom Arms XCR-L, ISSC Mk 22, Benelli MR-1, etc...). Be polite, ASK before handling the weapon and be upfront that you're checking the fit while waiting for the PAL to arrive. The hunting show people in particular are sports enthusiasts and are usually quite understanding.

Mind you, try to have an idea of what you want first... don't ask to handle all 30 guns in their display!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456