Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about my new Norinco M14

Exclamation Questions about my new Norinco M14

Hi,

I'm new to CGN and I have a few questions about my new M14. I've run into a problem and it's my first rifle. I'm hoping someone can help.

First to start, I've never fired this rifle and purchased it after I finally getting approval from my wife. I was told that it's a good starting rifle that is practical and hardy. I've done my research and everyone seems to have great things to say about it. My experience is only beginning so I'm hopeful it lives up to its reputation.

That being said, I'm a TOTAL NOOB and I read as much as I can but it's hard to digest all the information and then apply it successfully.

Anyway, I've had the rifle for two weeks now. I've cleaned the grease off of it. Cleaned the bore, chamber and bolt assembly(as best I could without taking it apart). I also purchased a couple of snap caps at the advice of one online reviewer.

The problem: I was acquainting myself with the rifle and cycling the snap caps through the rifle by pulling back on the operating rod handle and I noticed that the snap caps weren't ejecting smoothly. I thought maybe I had too much oil in the chamber so I continued few more times to try and understand the problem. That's when then the bolt somehow twisted and jammed. Is this normal and something to be expected?

I'm a little dismayed but I'm trying to bright side it as a good opportunity to learn more about the rifle and get my hands dirty. But, if I'm being honest, I'm a bit nervous about breaking it down and it's a little early to start dismantling my rifle esp since it's brand new, never been fired and I don't know if this is a defect. I've read a lot about the Norinco's being hit or miss with quality. There have been a few recommendations to inspect a new rifle but I have no idea what I'm looking for. On top of this, I'm finding articles on common problems the scariest of which would be slam firing.

Long story short, Are there still M14 clinics happening were a guy like me could interact with people that have experience with these rifles and know what they are doing?

Sorry for the long thread. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ArchiesBunker.

Find a disassembly video on youtube and take it apart. You'll have to learn eventually and it will allow you to become familiar with all the parts. Give everything a good clean and put it back together. It's the first thing I do will all my new/new to me firearms.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    ArchiesBunker; where are you located? It sounds like your op rod has separated from the bolt. Easy to have happen, easy to fix. A couple of minutes with a more experienced guy would help.

BTW is your CGN handle mis-spelled?
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Odd Shot's Avatar
    agreed.

I dunno if I would have recommended an M305 as a beginner's rifle, however. They're good for people who know guns and like to tinker or want to learn to tinker.

As for disassembling it a new rifle, you're going to have to with pretty much any new rifle (field strip) to clean it fully (not just the outside and the bore)

Can you post pictures?

as ipscgraz posted above, sounds like the charging handle slipped off the bolt's roller (can happen when manually operating the charging handle and you pull the handle upwards and away from the side of the receiver

Hi 4n2t0,

Thanks for the super quick reply! I've been watching disassembly vids since my post. I'm starting to feel a bit more confident. I'm going to get what tools I don't have tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    AB

BANNED
    Read the stickies up top of the battle rifle forum as they are loaded with info ...as far as clinics go ..where are you located ?

HI ipscgraz and Odd Shot,

Thanks for the super quick reply! I really appreciate it. Are their any groups or clinics for the M14 that I can check out?

Ipscgraz: I'm in Etobicoke. I'm going to take the rifle apart tomorrow once I get what ever tools I need. As for my handle, not misspelled, I'm terribly forgetful because I have so many usernames and passwords so I tried to come up with something mnemonic so I wouldn't forget.

Odd Shot: What you have described is exactly what I did. As mentioned, I'm going to be stripping the weapon tomorrow. A first time for anything I guess. Here are a few pics.
    http://pat.perception.net/gun/IMG_0781.JPG
    http://pat.perception.net/gun/IMG_0782.JPG

Thanks so much for the help!

Hey Chalkriver,

I'm in Etobicoke, ON. I'll check out the battle rifle forum.

Thanks!

Hey ipsgraz,

It seems I did misspell it. LOL. Let's add poor spelling on top of forgetful!

Thanks,

Check out tony bens videos on you tube , he's has step by step instructions on everything you need to know about your rifle , he's also a member here .
    I was addicted to the hokey pokey , but I turned myself about .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast