Thread: Long range newbie

Long range newbie

Hello all I would like to get into longs range shooting but I don't want to break the bank compleat unit for around $1500 that would shoot 500+ yards any comment would be great.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Welcome aboard!

Are you new to shooting or just new to long range? If you're a new shooter, starting with a .22 LR rifle would be a good first step. If not, try posting in the precision rifle forum.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aprilia Man's Avatar
    CCFR MDRGC

CGN Regular
    I started into firearms, with long range being the game of choice. I began about three years ago, and I can tell you, $1,500 is a point so far into the past, I cannot recall when I passed it.

I started with modest Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD. Because I knew I would keep it for a long time, I went new. Similar rifles can be had for 40% less, when purchased used. Next is optics, and this is where you can really get spendy. I got a used scope, retailed at ~$1,000, shipped to my door for $700. Then add rings, and a base... A bipod will set you back around $150ish. There are so many other things, they all begin to add up. I frequently see package deals on the Equipment Exchange.

You will get a lot of advice. You can read for months, and still have unanswered questions. The one thing I found to be true, trigger time is the best medicine. Good luck!

BANNED
    Go join the BCRA. B.C.'s Provincial rifle club affiliated with the DCRA. Short range is 300 yards/meters.
    Add the W's. .bcrifle.org