Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ATRS Modern Hunter Updates January 25 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    why would it be any different than any other rifles that use the same mags?
    Politics of course.

It's not so much that it will be different than the other rifles like the Tavor or RA; just that there is a higher possibility of it being derailed than the .308. I would guess that is why they tested the waters with the .308.

If there were people within the process that wanted the .308 restricted, they will certainly be there again when it come to the .223. An election is coming as well which will make politicians jumpy about approving a cartridge better known for use in military applications than for traditional type hunting (subsistence deer hunting for example).

I doubt the caliber of the rifle had any thing to do with the second classification taking longer than expected. It was more than likely the work of a few butt-hurt individuals on a personal vendetta.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    ALL of our suppliers have raised their prices by as much as 15% due to the dollars lack of value currently. Nightforce, Vortex, Leupold, Hornady,Federal, name anything made in the USA and the price has jumped by 10% or more just in the last 2 weeks.

I cried yesterday having to pay $5000.00 more to exchange CDN to Euros on just 1 rifle that we are bringing in from Germany. I SHOULD have sent the wire before we left for SHOT and we would not now be losing money on this deal. The joys of long lead times from suppliers, some times you win and other times you lose the profit from the deal.
    At least it is cheaper to drive to work lately

I don't blame you for this, but I hope that prices will drop back down if the dollar recovers. I remember retailers siting this a few years ago, but kept there mouths shut when the dollar went up.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
    I've heard talk that for reloading with popular powders such as Varget, that these cylindrical/extruded powders are aimed at bolt action rifles, and that a semi-auto gas system does better/requires quicker burning spherical powders when a gas system becomes involved. In regards to the ATRS MH direct impingement, Is this "bolt action only powder" talk BS or is it valid? Hodgdon Varget powder is my main consideration in asking this.
    When I get some range time I certainly plan to run Varget in my 308 pushing 178 Amax's. Hopefully the weather co-operates in the next couple of weeks. I am deeply into GSR withdrawl.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    Rick, is it possible to have one of these chambered in 6.5x47? Nothing wrong with a 6.5 creedmoor or 260, just curious.
    I am doubtful it would feed reliably. Personally I am a huge 6.5x47 fan and when I get some time I may tinker with it to see if it is possible to make it run but until I am happy we will not be suggesting or offering that caliber. The other issue I see is small base dies not being available for the cartridge and knowing that the casing has an area that is not supported in the barrel hence swell, feel small base dies will be a prerequisite for hand loading.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyHandCannon View Post
    Can you confirm what the magazine capacity on these are limited to?
    Magazine capacities are determined by the firearm that the magazine was DESIGNED and MANUFACTURED for, not by which firearm the magazine is used in. If a magazine is designed and manufactured for a pistol, it is limited it 10 rounds of the designed and manufactured cartridge. It is legal to use that 10 round magazine in a long gun without pinning it to 5 rounds.

Any rifle that accepts 5.56 (223) STANAG or 308 SR-25 pattern magazines (such as the Modern Hunter) has 10 round pistol magazines available for use.
    Last edited by moogles; 01-28-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: terminology
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Major Sights's Avatar
    Question ATRS;

When a Modern Varminter is put to paper and eventually to the real product will owners of the MH be able to just buy the Varminter "upper" and plug and play? (also though I am late the game in even seeing or hearing about the MH, I am putting away my loonies and toonies wholeheartedly).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    My interest in this rifle is first because it come in 308, second, it's NR, if it was any other caliber or restricted, it would not spark much interest for me... Just saying. JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Sights View Post
    Question ATRS;

When a Modern Varminter is put to paper and eventually to the real product will owners of the MH be able to just buy the Varminter "upper" and plug and play? (also though I am late the game in even seeing or hearing about the MH, I am putting away my loonies and toonies wholeheartedly).
    I am not trying to speak on ATRS' behalf, I mearly want Rick to spend less time answering questions and spend more time (if humanly possible) manufacturing rifles.

I cannot see switching uppers between 308 and 223 possible because of the magazine well. A 308 magazine well is a very different dimensionally than a 223 magazine well (not to mention any other changes in overall dimensions incurred from "down scaling" the design).
    Last edited by moogles; 01-28-2015 at 11:39 PM.

The only way would require some kind of block, either a piece that bolts in, or a special upper that has some sort of magwell block designed in. The bright side of that is theoretically you don't need a new FRT for an upper. I don't have to make it work or have the slightest knowledge on how to do it, so it's purely theoretical

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast