Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&J Hardware Inc. SJ-15 Canadian made AR15.

CGN frequent flyer Pistolwhiptricks's Avatar
    Looks great! Was hoping it would be priced a little cheaper though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mr. Friendly's Avatar
    that's a nice AR. I'd like one in 7.62 x 39 as well.
    power corrupts, but absolute power is kinda cool!

Quote Originally Posted by pocojoe View Post
    being a bit of a Rube when it comes to ar's, can you explain?
    thanks
    If I remember correctly, the AR15 was developed without a forward assist. The US brass that were evaluating them for military use didn't like the fact that you couldn't manually hit something to ensure the bolt was fully seated (ie hitting the charging handle on the M14). In order to make the gov't orders happen armalite added a forward assist. It's more or less considered useless, unless you are doing press checks.

I could be completely out to lunch though.

wikipedia - the Army insisted on the inclusion of a forward assist to help push the bolt into battery in the event that a cartridge failed to seat in the chamber through fouling or corrosion. Colt had argued the rifle was a self-cleaning design, requiring little or no maintenance. Colt, Eugene Stoner, and the U.S. Air Force believed that a forward assist needlessly complicated the rifle, adding about $4.50 to its procurement cost with no real benefit. As a result, the design was split into two variants: the Air Force's M16 without the forward assist, and, for the other service branches, the XM16E1 with the forward assist.
    Last edited by frumpy; 02-06-2015 at 10:45 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    price is exspected to be between $1200-1300 cdn standard 556 cal will be 10.3 14.5 and 18 inch. 300blk And 762x39 have been made and tested but we need to get the 556 guns into full production before that happens.
    we are waiting on dealers in order to start a large production run, or one of our overseas contracts to be approved, which ever comes first.
    S&J
    Do you plan on offering a 20'' barrel option later on, or at least a 18.6'', just in case the AR's ever gets non restricted (I know, I'm dreaming!).

Also, precision matched striped receivers sets would be awesome too!

Quote Originally Posted by pocojoe View Post
    being a bit of a Rube when it comes to ar's, can you explain?
    thanks
    sorry about that, the FFw assist, really should not be used, im most cases, all it does is make your stoppage into a complete jam, once an ar15 has something jammed into the chamber area,it is very hard to clear. even with grabign the charging handle and thunder struck the buttstock on the ground.
    That IA drill will either fix the issue or rip the bolt face right off the shell and then you have a gun down.

Over the last 15 or so years, there have been programs, when training had been implemented to not use the FFW assist, and to "rack it out" where there is an issue, just like a hand gun.
    This works very well, but under stress the test subjects end up using the ffw assist, the results were.
    The more times an ar15/m16 jams were "racked out" v using the ffw assist the less times the gun was make unusable .
    The issue is, this is only for one of the 4 main stopages/jams you get with most AR15,s.

The best think to do is, not have an ffw assist, that way you cant use it.
    People have been beating this data to death for many years, but slowly, and I mean very slowly people are moving away from the ffw assist.
    But big Mil arms makes still do it because they build the guns as per the colt TDP.
    Same reason, they still do chrome lined bbls, then nitrate done today can do 10x better job.
    short answer, sorry for the spelling ect.
    bbb

Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    Do you plan on offering a 20'' barrel option later on, or at least a 18.6'', just in case the AR's ever gets non restricted (I know, I'm dreaming!).

Also, precision matched striped receivers sets would be awesome too!
    if that ever gets close in our lifetime, then yes we would have no problem, at the moment which we have a bunch of production guns ready for dealer to test, unless we get good orders from our dealers or an over seas client, the project will have to wait until the CDN dollar Hits 40% and the flood of below cost US made ar15s slows.
    we are not trying to make another cheap made in Canada AR15, not are we trying to make something that is to costly for most people.
    $1200-$1300CDN is where we need to be in order not to run into " costs saveing" issues.
    bbb

Quote Originally Posted by WGT Consulting View Post
    Congrats Simon. I can't wait to start putting rounds down range with one of these.

Will
    Thanks Will ,look forward to working with you.
    simon

I'm sold, let me know when you can take my money Simon =)
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123