Thread: SL8/G36 bolt heads

CGN Regular

SL8/G36 bolt heads

The bolt on my converted SL8 won't lock back on an empty magazine after the last round is fired. I would like to try replacing my bolt head with an new one from an SL8 or G36. Can you provide me with information as to where I could purchase one in Canada?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    this may not be helpful but you said your sl8 is "converted" what is converted?

Are you using a stanag mag well adapter? did the hold open feature ever work with that mag well? have you checked it for wear?

Earlier versions did have a cracking issue which caused the bolt hold open not to work, have you checked? (I have not heard of anyone having this issue for many years)
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Regular
    I assume he means he has converted it from an SL8 to a "G36".

More information would be good. I don't know about the conversions but my SL8 has had this problem in the past and it was as simple as moving the end of one of the springs a 1/16" and it worked again.

CGN Regular

there's a spring by the bolt head catch, If the spring's end is not on the correct notch on the catch, the catch wont engage after last round.

Not sure if its the same problem you're having.

CGN Regular
    Already checked that. The bolt will lock back if I manually rack the slide, just not when I fire it. The bolt catch only grabs the bolt head by about 1-2mm and I think the fact the tangs on the head are slightly rounded cause it to skip past the bolt catch when propelled by the spring force.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Bogaty. I re-read the posts regarding your bolt catch problem. I noticed in your EE ad that you mentioned that the mags had been filed to fit the mag well. This makes me believe that you chose to file the top front corners of the mags like the original SL8 5/10 mags are, to clear the material in the receiver that is put there to discourage use of 30rd G36 mags. You may have better luck if the material in the receiver were removed instead. I went this route. BTW I love that rifle you have for sale. The handle/sight assy and the flash hider are awesome. I'm envious.

Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Bogaty. I re-read the posts regarding your bolt catch problem. I noticed in your EE ad that you mentioned that the mags had been filed to fit the mag well. This makes me believe that you chose to file the top front corners of the mags like the original SL8 5/10 mags are, to clear the material in the receiver that is put there to discourage use of 30rd G36 mags. You may have better luck if the material in the receiver were removed instead. I went this route. BTW I love that rifle you have for sale. The handle/sight assy and the flash hider are awesome. I'm envious.

Moe
    I have 10 of the pmags that I took a dremel to to fit instead of taking a dremel to the rifle. No issue with bolt hold open
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Moe
    I had an offer and was going to sell it but I just don't feel right about selling it on knowing what state it's in.

I don't think the issue is with the magazines. In addition to the G36 and the PMAG that I filed down with a dremel, I also have 3 Spear mags that are already formed with grooves in the front notches of the magazine to fit the mag-well and they don't work either.