Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Epps and my dissapointment

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    Daver_II

The thing with the restocking fee is that us retailers get charged a credit card processing fee based on a percentage at the time of purchase and for refunds. That processing fee doesn't get refunded to us if a buyer changes their mind.

So is some one buys says a SR15, it gets processed, then they decide that they don't want it and want a refund before we even ship or transfer, we are instantly out around $196.

If we charged a fixed restocking fee it would be too much on some refunds and not enough on others.
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBaller View Post
    I used to love going to Epps, I can understand now why people are reconsidering going there as well. My most recent visit I was looking to buy a .357 but wanted a good deal. I had asked them what they had in stock and I was given a condescending answer like I was supposed to already know. I asked to look at a Smith 686 and when he brought it out it looked new but the cylinder was stiff and had hairline scuffs. I asked to look at another of the same model and I got a tired sigh from the sales rep. He said they were ALL like that because they were new but he brought it out anyway. I guess he was right, they were the same. Not wanting to spend a lot on a gun I didn't want to break in, I asked to look at his used Rugers and then he looked at me and asked if I was going to actually buy anything?? (Which I did, I dont drive 1.5 hours for nothing.)

But their sales rep made me feel like I wasn't welcome there unless I knew exactly what I was looking for. I get that they're busy, but that doesn't excuse them from being rude to their patrons because they're asked to simply do their job and answer questions. It wasn't an isolated incident either.

Now I buy and sell on the EE with people who actually like to talk. No more 1.5 hour drives for me, thanks.
    Ditto for me, i have spent tens of thousands there over the years. Now i don't bother going. And havnt gone in probably 3-4 yrs i used to love going there too. They dont have the reputation they used to. And until they change the way they do business back to the way they used to they can close up shop as far as im concerned.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Daver_II

The thing with the restocking fee is that us retailers get charged a credit card processing fee based on a percentage at the time of purchase and for refunds. That processing fee doesn't get refunded to us if a buyer changes their mind.

So is some one buys says a SR15, it gets processed, then they decide that they don't want it and want a refund before we even ship or transfer, we are instantly out around $196.

If we charged a fixed restocking fee it would be too much on some refunds and not enough on others.

Fair enough, I will admit I had not considered that.

Although That does not excuse the lack of customer service and other issues I experienced at Epps.

Had they explained that to me I would fully understand.
    instead they told me that it was policy and there was nothing they could do... a simple explanation and store credit and I would be singing a different tune...

Also, I just looked up the CC merchant fee for my card, it is 3%... so, either way by charging 10% they made 7% ($70+) for very little work.

I don't mean to be unfair, I support many firearms businesses throughout Canada, but my dealings with Epps have left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Especially since I was driving 2 hrs+ to shop there.

Gents,

The point here is not that I feel stiffed, I made the mistakes and am big enough to carry that burden. The point is Epps seems on the first pass to be a great place to purchase firearms, if I had read through these forums before I made the purchase I may have made a different decision, again my problem not theirs. My only hope is that others take on board the mistakes I made and use those to ensure they don't make the same. I am sure there are lots of people who have had a great experience from them, I personally received good advice about which firearm to purchase based on my needs. I am certainly not expecting Epps to make any retribution, in my opinion (personal) its not what they do. To those who suggest taking a friend who knows a lot about guns and who is emotionally involved in the purchase makes a lot of sense, I did not have friend at hand but it certainly makes sense and I would suggest others do exactly that. I also expressed my opinion that Epps should be that friend, they weren't and I would suggest that anyone who is looking for a gun and decides to go to Epps, just expect the worst and hope for the best ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pcvando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRhino View Post
    When you patron a reputable business and they sell you something NIB, I would expect it to be just that. If I am buying something from the street, I would expect to have to inspect it. For a store to sell you something new and have it be anything but that is wrong.
    Hit the nail on the head. If they advertise as NIB, then that is what it should be.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    I never buy a restricted firearm in store, no matter which store. They often give you used guns which they call display model (which is used in my opinion). What also bothers me is when they first want to see your license and then watch you like a hawk when you handle the (unloaded) restricted firearm. Best way to buy guns is at one of the big shows, either Calgary or Chilliwack, hands down - you get the best deals and big selection and many dealers don't have a problem if you want to look at many guns.

It wouldn't be from the manufacture's test firing would it?

BANNED
    I have purchased many guns from Epps. However, all were new and purchased online. I went once to purchase a rifle in person. It was crowded, and very busy, and the gun room is tiny and crowded. Also, I knew more than the salesman did. Being crowded and busy is at least good for business. However, I have received excellent service when I have emailed them about purchasing guns and ammo. I have received excellent and detailed replies, and have not so far had a problem. I have spent approximately $20 grand there and haven't had a problem yet. That being said, I didn't have what I would call a positive experience going there in person, and will continue to buy online from them only.

Cannon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I agree, new in box should be that, and not be a display gun thats been handled to death. What if they had shipped that same gun to him, he wouldn't have noticed the wear until it was home. If they don't want to switch it with a new one, they should at least offer a good discount or throw in some accessories in good faith..

Quote Originally Posted by dahs View Post
    You should have taken a better look before you bought it.
    Haha. So if the customer misses something, the store gets a "get out of jail free" card? They can sell used or display firearms as new and hope customers just don't take a better look? Sounds like a store that will never see a penny from me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast