Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglelord17 View Post
    Why does it matter if it is Russian, in particular Tula to you? Just curious as to your reasoning behind it.
    Noobery? Cause the internet said so?
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

I am no expert, jut sharing what i have concluded from research. Sorry I dont have 4000 posts in a year and a half like the experts - and call it noobery, or because the Internet said so, but I wouldn't buy a norinco... I can't verify but I have heard the barrels are thinner and prone to warping when overheated. I try to avoid Chinese as a rule. Also, the Chinese had many variances in their design, and quality control was sub par compared to others. However, at least you can find a norc with chrome bore, which is more than you can say for a yugo - as is my understanding. the chrome lined barrel is nice and can be found on soviet sks post 1951... Finally tulas are a little more rare than izhevsk. If I can buy something for $230 that sells for $900 across the border, why the hell not?
    Last edited by K3n0; 04-05-2015 at 01:51 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    K3n0, I suggest you spend less time giving ill advised advice and more time doing late night research.
    Your post is filled with rampant misinformation that I'm sure others will take more pleasure than me in schooling you on.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

The Internet itself is full of misinformation. These are things I have read, and heard through word of mouth. Unlike most people online, I am not entirely too thin skinned, and can appreciate and embrace being proven wrong. It's a sign of growth, and learning. hopefully someone who Is an expert on the topic can actually provide some useful information rather than just telling me I am wrong.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by K3n0 View Post
    I am no expert, jut sharing what i have concluded from research. Sorry I dont have 4000 posts in a year and a half like the experts - and call it noobery, or because the Internet said so, but I wouldn't buy a norinco... I can't verify but I have heard the barrels are thinner and prone to warping when overheated. I try to avoid Chinese as a rule. Also, the Chinese had many variances in their design, and quality control was sub par compared to others. However, at least you can find a norc with chrome bore, which is more than you can say for a yugo - as is my understanding. the chrome lined barrel is nice and can be found on soviet sks post 1951... Finally tulas are a little more rare than izhevsk. If I can buy something for $230 that sells for $900 across the border, why the hell not?
    The nicest SKS I have ever shot was a Chinese manufactured one (and I have shot a decent amount of them). If you have never handled or used one don't go spouting off rumours that it is crap just because they are Chinese. Some of the commercial manufactured ones are poor quality, but ALL the ones manufactured for the Chinese military are high quality firearms (the only part I feel is worse than a Soviet one is the stock, otherwise everything is at least the same standard or better from what I have seen).

In regards to the Tula being less common that is a complete lie. Izhevsk only produced the SKS for 2 years, 1953 and 1954. It is also estimated only 10% (or less) of the Soviet SKS production was manufactured at Izhevsk, so if your going to say something make sure you have your facts straight. Personally I have never even seen a Izhevsk SKS in person, but I have handled tons of Tulas.

I dont know why you assume I haven't handled a Chinese sks... I actually have fired a Chinese one and it didn't cycle properly. It liked to double eject, and the dust cover also fit very poorly. For future reference, How can I tell the military from civilian ones? And as for the rarity I obviously had my factories ass backwards. My bad.

Actually, my first SKS was a Norinco.... The front of the forestock was shaped differently, slimmer profile, and it had a spike bayonet.... I think, if I remember correctly.... yup, I think a triangular spike.... I also paid a hundred and a half extra dollars for it, I didn't have a clue, and I guess Ol' Don at Don's Used Guns Emporium in Ardmore Alberta say me coming, cuz' I called ahead.... Haha, oh well, ya live and learn. When I figured out it wasn't a "real" SKS, I set it aside, and quickly went out and paid half as much for a Tula from Frontier Firearms in PA, Sask.... The barrel was ever so slightly crooked coming out of the receiver, but you could fire that baby till the barrel glowed, (not really, but sounds good) and we had a blast with that gun. My wife fired 800 rounds in a half hour with that gun, I was spraying it with gun oil while she was shooting it, the smoke was pretty thick, it's a wonder we don't have respiratory issues because of it..... I suppose that's as close to being in battle with one as we'll ever get, Haha! I finally had to take it away from her, she was bound and determined to burn the damn thing up, but it did the trick, she's been shooting for a number of years now, competing in silhouette, and she is a top shot, I have to struggle to keep up. It's worth it, because she's "on-board", shooting is not her most favourite thing, but she does get involved, and that's half the battle....
    I still have that Ol' 1951 gun, it's shining like a new dime in the gun cabinet, all gussied up with a reconditioned stock, the wood was originally dark, so I stained it a very dark brown with just a hint of red in it.... It's first in line, with 5 more right beside it....
    Oh! the Chinese gun I traded to a Buddy; the magazine fell apart, so I got a replacement from Milarm in Edmonton, took some fitting (read: jamming) to get it to fit on account that it was Soviet manufacture, but it did work, so the gun would fire.....

I had a Chinese one first, prefer my Russian one now. For $190 its better than many $650 rifles I've handled.

One poster mentioned the Kel tech 2000 which goes for $650 now. Kinda a cool gun... but almost comically high priced for what it is.

Although the odd person has their complaints about the SKS, at the end of the day its almost impossible to argue that it isn't the best price/quality firearm there is.

A shooting buddy of mine really only sticks with his $1000+ AR. For some reason he missed the boat on the SKS, but when he used mine he was almost shocked with the quality and "fun factor" of something that was $190.

You do have to keep those guns clean, though, especially if you are firing the ComBlock Ammo.....And why wouldn't you be, that's what it's for. That ammo was designed for that gun and the 47, of course. If you don't keep them clean, the chamber and the throat will rust, corrode and erode out, and some of the parts of the gas system will do the same. We all treat them like junk, but they are an awesome gun, perfect for what they were designed for: killing lots of Imperialist Pigs very quickly out to 300 yards, and able to maintain one helluva pile of covering fire down onto a position, prior to the assault.... I did 5 years in the Army back in the day, so I have a pretty good idea what it would have been like to have a company size force all firing those SOB's at you to keep your head down.... What a miserable nightmare that would have been. They were a better built gun than the 47, but the '47 had an auto setting, a detachable hi-cap magazine, but most importantly, they were far cheaper to produce..... the milled receivers and good quality manufacturing on the SKS's is something to admire..... At least considering the time and place they were made.....

Yup, I hear ya, K-Roc, and we must not be the only ones....Every range I go to I take a rake to clean up all the steel case M43 empty cases laying around...! Haha, some of the old dogs were complaining about all those "Young fellas with their SKS's making a damn mess around here all the time", but I said I didn't mind taking 10 minutes to rake up the garbage, at least they are out shooting, so there is hope for the future of the Sport....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234