Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most versatile first rifle?

CGN Regular
    another vote for the sks here. cheap to both buy and shoot. will introduce you to a good gun care regiment. a good learning tool.

also consider bolt action (rimfire possibly?) I just got one recently, and it's a fun change from semi auto or pump.

Thanks for the replies. A lot to think on.

While I love the idea of long-range shooting, it just doesn't seem to be an option for me, given where I live. One club has a 200 metre range, and the other has a 300 metre range. Both are like 1.5-2 hours from where I am. I can't imagine driving any further to shoot. Is it worth investing in an expensive tack driver for 2-300 metres? Would it be any fun? I would imagine that deer hunting in Ontario occurs at way shorter distances still. Also, isn't .223 pretty bad for hunting, especially considering my level of experience (that is, none)? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

At this point, I'm thinking of starting off with an SKS as a cheap multi-purpose bullet hose to cut my teeth on. Then, should I decide that I need more accuracy, a modern .308 bolt action. Maybe I'll end up deciding that hunting is not for me, at which point I'll go for an AR. Sound good? I'm still open to suggestions.

Get it all in 1 gun with the modern hunter....bit expensive but can do long range, hunt, and in .308 has plenty of stopping power in your AR style package. Buy one and be done.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    If your on a budget, and depending what you want to hunt an SKS will work, but there are better choices available. I'd probably choose a Savage bolt action. They are good for hunting and target shooting in a lower priced gun.

CGN frequent flyer
    I am a big fan of the sks. Especially at the range. However, to use it as a serious hunting rifle at and beyond 100 yds, you should be prepared to invest time and money into getting consistent accuracy from it to ensure that you do not wound game. At that point, it's got to be better than a "bullet hose" for blasting at the range.
    This may include things like a trigger job, a peep sight or scope mounted, extending the stock. Some of theses, notably the sight upgrades, could set you back a few hundred. Now, the sks you get may have a good enough trigger, and shoot 4" or less groups with hunting ammo at 100 yds and you may be able shoot it with the stock sights. You'll only know that after you get into it.
    Therefore, if you really want to do it with an SKS, be ready to do the practice and necessary mods required before you take it hunting. And, btw, I'd suggest a chinese military sks if you can find one. They tend to be pretty accurate for sks's.
    If the range will be 100 yds or less, a tech sight is definitely worth getting for better low light shooting compared to the stock sights.
    Overall, I can't disagree with your choice, because the practice you can get with the cheap ammo is invaluable for a new shooter, just remember the sks has some limitations as a hunting rifle that others don't.

Most versatile 1st rifle? A 22 LR.

Sorry, it's not "on your list" but I had to say it. It will be probably the easiest to aquire, give the most joy in shooting, be the most economical to shoot, and the most likely the one rifle you will keep coming back to as the years go by. A Ruger 10/22 is fun to shoot, cheap, and can be a money-pit if you want to start tricking it out. A nice Savage Mk II or even a CZ 455 will give lots of fun target shooting if that is your thing. None of these rifles will break the bank. All will be fun to shoot. And stockpiling several thousand rounds of 22LR won't be difficult or expensive. And it's the perfect rifle to hand over to a friend or girlfriend if they show interest in going to the range with you.

That said, if you are dead-set on getting a "real" rifle right off the bat, especially when you mention hunting, I would suggest a Savage 10/110 (depending on cartridge). It won't be too expensive, and will have the advantage of shooting a proper modern cartridge that will be easy to find on the shelves. It also will likely give you the least number of headaches when trying to get it into hunting form. That isn't something that can be said about most of the list you mentioned. I would suggest the Savage 10/110 in either 308 or 30-06 as a hunting rifle. Just put a nice piece of glass on it and you are golden.

If you really want a range-toy, the Norinco CQ-A would be my pick. It is 223, easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, and will be the most fun to customize. However, it will be restricted, so it will be a range-only toy.

You can use the M305, or the Mosin, or the SKS for hunting. But it will always be a bit of a compromise with weight, or ammo, or ability to mount optics, or just general gun grumpiness trying to get it to do stuff it doesn't want to do.

fdfgb
    Last edited by danyuld; 07-24-2017 at 07:40 AM.

BANNED
    The SKS will limit you to not only about 100 yards, but also the game you can hunt. The 7.62 x 39 isn't anywhere near enough for anything larger than Bambi to that 100 yards. Isn't a hunting or target rifle either. More of a big kid's toy. Us big kids need our toys too.
    An Axis in one of the .24, .25, .26 or .27 cartridges will do for deer and Bullwinkle in the larger of those(IE .270 Win). Isn't a target rifle either though.
    The M305 is a hunt anything in North America rifle. (So is the Mosin, but that might have the accuracy and other issues mentioned.). Unless you ever get invited to one of the municipalities in Ontario with the daft calibre restriction. (.270 or .275 or under by cartridge name, depending on where.) Weight is not an issue since you'll likely be hunting out of a blind like most people. Still hunting takes a great deal of skill.
    The Norinco CQ-A is restricted. No hunting with it at all.

I know you said rifle but have you considered a shotgun?

Remington 870 with the 3 barrel kit set me back around $550. With that I can hunt all legal game in north America. Rifled slug barrel for the big game. 28" waterfowl barrel for birds/ducks/geese, and the 22" turkey barrel is great (with different chokes) for turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, etc. Also blasting clays on the weekend is fun too!

Either that or go with the axis or the M305. If I can hunt with a Savage 10BA you can easily carry either of those.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    The SKS will limit you to not only about 100 yards, but also the game you can hunt. The 7.62 x 39 isn't anywhere near enough for anything larger than Bambi to that 100 yards. Isn't a hunting or target rifle either. More of a big kid's toy. Us big kids need our toys too.
    An Axis in one of the .24, .25, .26 or .27 cartridges will do for deer and Bullwinkle in the larger of those(IE .270 Win). Isn't a target rifle either though.
    The M305 is a hunt anything in North America rifle. (So is the Mosin, but that might have the accuracy and other issues mentioned.). Unless you ever get invited to one of the municipalities in Ontario with the daft calibre restriction. (.270 or .275 or under by cartridge name, depending on where.) Weight is not an issue since you'll likely be hunting out of a blind like most people. Still hunting takes a great deal of skill.
    The Norinco CQ-A is restricted. No hunting with it at all.
    Of course, it goes without saying that 7.62x39mm is only good for deer at shorter ranges. I don't have any hunting experience, so I don't plan on hunting anything bigger, for now. As I understand it, I really should start out with small game, but it just doesn't interest me. What kind of distances can I expect in Ontario, anyway?

I've only really looked at .308 - are there any advantages to other cartridges like .270?

Quote Originally Posted by Quantis View Post
    I know you said rifle but have you considered a shotgun?

Remington 870 with the 3 barrel kit set me back around $550. With that I can hunt all legal game in north America. Rifled slug barrel for the big game. 28" waterfowl barrel for birds/ducks/geese, and the 22" turkey barrel is great (with different chokes) for turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, etc. Also blasting clays on the weekend is fun too!

Either that or go with the axis or the M305. If I can hunt with a Savage 10BA you can easily carry either of those.
    I did consider it earlier, but it just didn't grab me the same way as a rifle. I may very well end up with a shotgun though, who knows. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Last edited by hdls; 02-24-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast