Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Most versatile first rifle?

Hey all,
    Great thread to read as I am considering my first rifle as well. Leaning towards an SKS at the moment, due to the potential stock upgrades etc and cheap ammo.
    Anyone have any input on the Tapco stocks or scoping these rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by chameleonman View Post
    Hey all,
    Great thread to read as I am considering my first rifle as well. Leaning towards an SKS at the moment, due to the potential stock upgrades etc and cheap ammo.
    Anyone have any input on the Tapco stocks or scoping these rifles?

Ask this question in the "Red Rifle" section of the forum and you'll find everything you want to know about SKS mods.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    You're probably better off buying a shotgun with interchangeable barrels. Rifled slug barrel for big stuff and field barrel for little stuff. Look at Remington 870, Mossberg 500 etc. You can kill anything from moose to bunnies effectively adjusting the barrel and ammunition type you use.

I also think you need to get the basics of shooting under control before you worry about not having a big enough range. The Savage Axis doesnt require a 1000m range, most hunters can't shoot well enough in field conditions to be much good past 200m. A scope isnt all about long range. Its about target acquisition and light gathering just as much.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    A bolt in 308... JP.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234