Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most versatile first rifle?

Most versatile first rifle?

I need help finding the best low-budget rifle for both hunting and range shooting. I plan to stick to one rifle for the foreseeable future (or so I think...).

So far, I'm looking at:
    Norinco CQ-A: Forget hunting, I'm too much in love with the AR-15 platform.
    Norinco M305: Would be a great range gun, but maybe a bit too heavy for hunting? Also, most expensive choice.
    Savage Axis: Would be the most accurate option, but then it would just go to waste, since I don't have access to a 1000 yard range.
    Mosin-Nagant: Super cheap. Bolt action; wouldn't be too fun at a range. No lead-free bullets.
    SKS: Also super cheap. Intermediate cartridge. No lead-free bullets.

Is there something better out there that I'm missing?
    Last edited by hdls; 02-23-2015 at 10:11 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    If we could only pick from your list, I would go SKS first and M305 next choice. Both are cheap enough to buy, reliable with surplus ammo and good enough for a woods gun/ hunting. Ammo for the 305 would be pricier.
    Forget the rest. If you get the CQA, you will never stop accessorizing it and it will lead to a divorce!
    The Mosin is fun for a while but if you just bench it, it gets boring after a while. Much better to take it for a walk. I would recommend the 38 or 44 as they are shorter and more maneuverable.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Thanks for replying.

You are right, the SKS seems like the most sensible choice. Maybe I should get both the Mosin and the SKS, since they're both so cheap. A big part of my attraction to firearms is the mechanical nature of it, so I quite like the idea of being able to manipulate a bolt action. I don't know how long the novelty of that would last, though.

The problem with Mosins is " You pays the money and ya git what ya git!" Some are decent to good shooters and can be quite accurate and others are just pieces of junk. I had a 91/30 that wouldn't even chamber ammo but worked fine and smooth with nothing loaded. My friend has one that jams up after every shot, can't hit paper and now his front sight has fallen off!
    It's almost like all the good shooter Mosins have already been bought and what's left is literally the bottom of the barrel.
    IMO, get the Savage chambered for .270. You have warranty, a modern rifle, good ammo, can hunt with, and you can play with the bolt to your heart's content. Together with the SKS, you'll have a nice combo.
    Now I need my flame retardant suit coz the Mosin lovers will flame me!
    PS I have a M38!
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Here to flame you SA!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding!

I would suggest the SKS. Get a nice one from Westrifle or Corwin Arms or Weimajack on the EE and you won't regret it. They're fun to blast with and ammo is pretty cheap.

As Still Alive says, Mosins are hit and miss. That said, if you get a good one they can be very accurate and are cheap to feed. Unfortunately, lots of them are junk, and you never really know until you start shooting... Looks aren't always the best indicator.

If I may suggest one other option to consider: a Swiss K31. They're amazingly accurate (like 1 MOA) and built incredibly well. The most recent batch is a little more expensive, but you won't regret it...

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post

Just kidding!

I would suggest the SKS. Get a nice one from Westrifle or Corwin Arms or Weimajack on the EE and you won't regret it. They're fun to blast and ammo is pretty cheap.

As
    but you don't really need to find a "nice" one. Just one that will let you shoot a lot.

I am going to go with the sks.

But going to assume that you are going to go over budget and recommend the Tavor or the xcr those will give you a mil-spec rifle and are both non restricted

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post

Just kidding!

I would suggest the SKS. Get a nice one from Westrifle or Corwin Arms or Weimajack on the EE and you won't regret it. They're fun to blast with and ammo is pretty cheap.

As Still Alive says, Mosins are hit and miss. That said, if you get a good one they can be very accurate and are cheap to feed. Unfortunately, lots of them are junk, and you never really know until you start shooting... Looks aren't always the best indicator.

If I may suggest one other option to consider: a Swiss K31. They're amazingly accurate (like 1 MOA) and built incredibly well. The most recent batch is a little more expensive, but you won't regret it...
    Hey, I DID recommend the SKS first! LOL! Contrary to popular opinion, I have some good taste left!
    The K31 is a bit of an odd looking rifle but Swiss made! Can't go wrong there! Good recommendation PE!
    CCFR CPC

How about the ATRS Modern Hunter......range rifle and hunter.....AR style.

I think it depends on a few things like what you hunt and how you hunt; also what type of range shooting you think you'd like. An SKS isn't a bad hunting rifle for medium game in dense bush but I'd hate to have to take a shot at over 100 yds. On the range I'd think an SKS could work if you just like making some noise and are comfortable with 4" groups. Ammo sure is cheap for them - and you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, the SKS won't grow with you very much. An Axis can be a fine hunting rifle at all reasonable ranges (depending on the type of cartridge). It can also be quite accurate at the range and is an adequate rifle to start learning about firearms and precision shooting - even in 223 the Axis is good for 50 - 600+ yards (once you get some experience I think you'll choose something different to reach out to 1,000 yards). Few semi autos can beat a bolt action for accuracy. You can also easily start tweaking the Axis for improved performance while there isn't much you can do that will improve an SKS. The downside is you'll want to budget for some glass.

Cheap ammo is available for both rifles (if we're talking an Axis in 223) but you'll get what you pay for. At least with the Axis, better ammo is available and you will see this in your shooting - the SKS...not so much.

I would steer away from the M305 unless you are willing to tweak and don't mind spending big bucks for ammo ($0.50 per bang for the cheap stuff, $2+ for the best stuff), or plan on reloading. Also think 9-10 lb rifle bare, 12+ lbs scoped - heavy if hunting.

From what I've heard, I'd go with the Axis. I think you'll enjoy it more and for longer.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast