Thread: New to rifles - minimum shooting interval?

CGN Regular

New to rifles - minimum shooting interval?

Will be picking up my first rifle later today (Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 0.223). Is there any minimum time needed in between shots to prevent the barrel from overheating? Thanks!

The shot interval will vary depending on the barrel profile and the type of cartridge. Heavy barrels with small/light load cartridges (22 LR, 223, etc.) for example will take longer to heat-up. You will see when your shot groups open and you can also just touch the barrel to monitor the temperature.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

The rule of thumb is if you touch your barrel and you are like wow it's warm then it's too muchm Remember that your grouping is gonna get bigger as the barrel heat up.

wrap barrel with bacon, when it is cooked crisp eat bacon/////repeat as needed
    LOL
    GUNS spelled backwards is SNUG coincidence--- not,, cause I feel safe and snug when I am with my guns![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will be nicer when you get smarter.....
    we can fix broken but stupid is forever.

BANNED
    There's no set minimum time. A lot depends on what barrel you have too. Lots of varmint hunters who hunt prairie dogs will take scores of shots before heat gets ugly. You'll never get a barrel hot enough to damage it though.