Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hatsan Mag tube question for our customers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer grelmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbalm View Post
    I asked about the threads from a Hatsan dealer this week (not saying who ), mentioning i wanted one with the short threads to get a mag extension. Though their reply was interesting since adding an extension to make it 5.8 rounds legal for 3" is totally fine.. .even when you can stuff more 2 3/4" shells in there which is what I wanted for 3 gun anyway.

Here is their email reply:

ALL of the MPA's have the threads like your top picture for over a year now. The purpose is so that a magazine tube extension that makes the gun hold more than the LEGAL limit of 5 rds can NOT be installed. The guns hold the legal limit now. That's why there is also no mag tube extensions on the pump shot gun's. They are all one piece so they can not be removed and illegally put on the semi auto versions.

Anywho.. not sure if this is true that Hatsan made the threads with the gap to stop the mag extensions. Would love to get an extension anyway if S&J can get it made!

I bought mine only a couple months ago, and it had the thread pattern that works with the existing extension from S&J - maybe I got lucky and it was old stock...

As far as the legality of it...

I can only fit 5 shells of 3 inch magnum in it now (with the extension) - close to, but not quite 6 - and that's what keeps it on the legal side, because the gun is chambered for 3" magnums, and that's what's used to determine maximum legal mag tube length. I can only fit 6 shells of Federal 2&3/4" 00Buck or 2&3/4" Score HV slugs in it, but I can barely squeeze in 7 of the 2&3/4" Score target shells (they're actually quite short for 2&3/4" shells). There's actually a lot of variance in length of shells even within a given chamber spec and shell manufacturers.

The Benelli crowd are doing the same thing, only at 3x the cost, to squeeze 7 shells into their tubes. Some guys custom cut their shells even shorter and go all the way to 8 or 9 + 1, and aren't breaking the law.

It's the same legal jiggery-pokery that means we can use the .50 Beowulf mags in our 5.56 AR's, and still be legal.

The Hatsan rep is mistaken on the legal side. Or is being misleading. Hatsan outsources some of their production to other factories in Turkey, and there might be two different specs coming out at the same time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer wayupnorth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Anyone close to us want to lend us there gun with the long thread
    2nd offer, ill send you a brand new one in the box still for you to design off of.
    you send me back 2 mag tubes with the gun and ill put it in the mail to you tomorrow.......
    Things either are what they appear to be;
    or they neither are, nor appear to be;
    or they are, and do not appear to be;
    or they are not, and yet appear to be.

Quote Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
    2nd offer, ill send you a brand new one in the box still for you to design off of.
    you send me back 2 mag tubes with the gun and ill put it in the mail to you tomorrow.......
    ok lets do that, please send us an email to the effect and we will be in contact.
    sales@sjhardware.com

Thanks
    Simon

Both my buddys Hatsan and mine have the gap. We tried your Mag extension and it did not thread all the way. If you can accomodate the Shotgun with this thread pattern then you have two customers for sure. Both shotguns were bought from different shops. and in the last six months.
    _____
    /l ,[____],
    l---L –[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

CGN Regular
    My Hatsan Optima also has 'the gap'. Another advantage of Simon's new mag extension is that being able to rotate the front sling mount to the left or right will help keep the sling from hanging down in front of the laser or flashlight mounted on the rail at the bottom of the front handguard.

we will be going ahead with this project.
    soon as we get the shotgun from way up north

wayupnorth, got your email well get back to you soon
    bbb

Awesome! I'll be in for a mag tube extension as well

Great news! Was on the fence about picking up one of these shotguns, but with your project all green lights I'll be picking one up as well as your mag tube.

here is the prototype of the hatsan mpa long thread mag tube.
    these are being tested at the range tomorrow

Looks good, will the final have grooves on the thread nut or remain smooth?.. Also have you worked one up for the Hatsan pump?