Thread: S.A.M Commander 1911 45acp

S.A.M Commander 1911 45acp

I got a good deal on a pile of +P 45 acp. What spring upgrades should I do for this shooter? It is the commander model in 45acp. Do you have beefier springs for it?

I have an idea. Buy a springfield. problem solved. or an h&k .45. the barrel on an h&k .45 is tested to 2000 of +P with out failure. thats high standard. to be specific . the h&k .45 usp was based off of the h&k marc23

you just cant go wrong with it. check it.
    http://youtu.be/U2aoLkFfkes

this model was based off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1shooter View Post
    I have an idea. Buy a springfield. problem solved. or an h&k .45. the barrel on an h&k .45 is tested to 2000 of +P with out failure. thats high standard. to be specific . the h&k .45 usp was based off of the h&k marc23

you just cant go wrong with it. check it.
    http://youtu.be/U2aoLkFfkes

this model was based off of it.
    Great answer to the OP's question... What, you've got stock options in HK and Springfield?? There is nothing is wrong with SAM 1911's. If you've owned one you'd know. All of mine have been smoother then any Springfield 1911 I've owned/handled (and nearly half the price).

I love when guys have legit questions, or ask for help with something and someone always has to chime in and say "oh, just go buy brand x of this gun, cuz it the best, and all your problems will be solved". When likely they only own that one particular firearm or have limited experience with firearms in general and only know what they read in "Guns & Ammo".
    ~ShooterPHD

CGN Regular
    Wolff springs I think makes different lbs. springs for 1911.

I've got about 1000 rounds through my SAM commander 1911 with no issues other than rounds sticking in E-lander mags. It groups well at 10 yards. Trigger is great, slide fit is smooth and tight. I haven't felt it getting sloppy or feel the need to upgrade springs at this point. Not sure how many rounds it will be before I will have to. So far great pistol for me. I believe that an 18 pound spring is the standard replacement, but could be mistaken.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Don't know if Wolverine carries them but Wolff lists Commander recoil springs right up to 27 pounds. I think I read on CGN that Wolf exports to Canada but am not sure. You would have to call them. If you're using +P ammo I would definitely go to a heavier spring (at least 20-22 pounds). Factory is 18 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    Wolff springs I think makes different lbs. springs for 1911.
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_dent View Post
    Don't know if Wolverine carries them but Wolff lists Commander recoil springs right up to 27 pounds. I think I read on CGN that Wolf exports to Canada but am not sure. You would have to call them. If you're using +P ammo I would definitely go to a heavier spring (at least 20-22 pounds). Factory is 18 pounds.
    Wolff does deliver to Canada and they have excellent product but with customs etc do not expect them to arrive the next day after ordering. Wolff springs are the way to go!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    I believe Wolff ships to Canada and Brownells carries them as well. I would shoot it first too see if it needs any spring changes. I just ordered a heavier recoil spring this week for my SAM military enhanced. The one that's in it (14#) would be fine for moderate hand loads but I have lots of 230 gr hard ball right now and think it would benefit from a heavier recoil spring.