Thread: sunday shooting on private land

CGN Regular

sunday shooting on private land

So I gather there are many places that do not allow Sunday shooting (Scratch that, I should have said hunting), but I have a question about this.

first off, for those of you who are new like me you can refer to here: http://www.ofah.org/hunting/Sunday-Gun-Hunting

my question is this:

If you are on private land in one of these areas that does not allow Sunday shooting, can you still not fire a rifle on Sundays? I just don't wanna get us into any trouble.

It is my understanding(as a buddy has told me) that on private land you are still allowed to shoot? but logically why would that be the case? how do you guys understand it?
    Last edited by wd123; 02-28-2015 at 11:35 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If your province doesn't allow sunday hunting then no you can't hunt on sunday even on private land. If your wanting to target shoot then as far as i know have at it unless prov. or municipal bylaw prevents that as well. Shooting and hunting are not interchangable terms, lots of shooting competitions are held on sundays.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dead meat View Post
    If your province doesn't allow sunday hunting then no you can't hunt on sunday even on private land. If your wanting to target shoot then as far as i know have at it unless prov. or municipal bylaw prevents that as well. Shooting and hunting are not interchangable terms, lots of shooting competitions are held on sundays.
    cheers! that was what I was trying to get at. I'm not a hunter, I just enjoy shooting targets.

By-laws can differ from hunting regulations. Some municipality like to use noise as a reason to disallow Sunday shooting. Here's an example:

No Person shall discharge a Firearm at any time on Sunday, with
    the exception of a bow, crossbow, or air guns which are not audible
    from the limits of the boundaries of the property on which the air
    guns are being discharged;

Call and find out before you start blasting away!

CGN Regular
    @4n2t0, that is a good point too. I will research further!

BANNED
    Depends entirely on where your private land is. Private land will require written permission from the land owner, assuming it's not you, and all municipal by-laws apply. Most municipalities have their by-laws on-line(usually a county or township site.). If there is no by-law, you're fine.
    As mentioned, hunting and shooting are not the same thing. You might, I say again, might be visited by the local constabulary(OPP) or CO's anyway. Having targets set up in a safe location will make the CO's not assume you're hunting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Our area does not allow sunday hunting but does allow sunday target shooting. Pretty sure there are maps on the internet saying what area allows what

You'er looking at the wrong site. You need to go to the municipal site and look for bylaws pertaining to firearms. I know a couple of municipalities in Manitoba that have a no firearm discharge on sunday bylaw.
    NFA Member