Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cz958 Review, Accuracy, and Status

Quote Originally Posted by Repro77 View Post
    I think converting full autos to semi to sell them is pretty clear cut as far as our laws are concerned. I don't agree with them, and I'd love to be able to buy CA's, but thats been law for an awful long time.
    Pre-2005 CZ858s that were not reclassified were also built on modified full auto receivers but were deemed to be just fine because of technicalities. There's nothing clear cut in our laws.
    We stand on guard for thee.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joe-Man View Post
    Pre-2005 CZ858s that were not reclassified were also built on modified full auto receivers but were deemed to be just fine because of technicalities. There's nothing clear cut in our laws.
    So the rifles prior to 2006 did not have a notch that was welded closed? Why are they exempt then?
    Buy em cheap, stack em deep!

Super Moderator
    These rifles were made up on receivers that had never been assembled into finished rifles. The modifications to semi auto only were therefore deemed to be part of the process of the manufacture of semi auto receivers.
    If receivers were sourced from complete rifles, then the resulting rifles are prohibited converted autos.

The finished semi auto rifles are essentially identical, but the law does differentiate between a converted rifle, and a receiver altered in the course of production.

Quote Originally Posted by Outwest1213 View Post
    So the rifles prior to 2006 did not have a notch that was welded closed? Why are they exempt then?
    Procedural differences. The RCMP's position is that the pre-2006 rifles were made from converted receivers that had never been assembled as full rifles. Post 2006 the rifles were assembled as full auto, then disassembled, modified to semi-auto and reassembled. The end product is the same, a semi auto rifle built off a formerly full auto receiver, so without intimate knowledge of our bass ackward laws why would CZ think there would be a problem?

Ninja'd by tiriaq. That'll teach me to try to write a reply while putting the kids to bed.

See below..

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    These rifles were made up on receivers that had never been assembled into finished rifles. The modifications to semi auto only were therefore deemed to be part of the process of the manufacture of semi auto receivers.
    If receivers were sourced from complete rifles, then the resulting rifles are prohibited converted autos.

The finished semi auto rifles are essentially identical, but the law does differentiate between a converted rifle, and a receiver altered in the course of production.
    This is the difference why some were deemed CA's, and others not. Doesn't make sense, I know, but it is what it is.

And CZ (or the importer) should have known that.
    Crazy......but that's how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Repro77 View Post
    See below..

This is the difference why some were deemed CA's, and others not. Doesn't make sense, I know, but it is what it is.

And CZ (or the importer) should have known that.
    Ummm... yeah. Those were the technicalities I mentioned and later described in my next post #104. I'm not sure why you felt the need to further explain it to me. You're right though, it doesn't make sense.

Wolverine has maintained that they were not aware of the change in the way the rifles were produced and I believe them. I also have a hard time getting too pissed at CZ because we are probably their only client with such strange laws around full-auto conversion. They are so nonsensical that a slip up is unfortunate but kind of understandable. All IMHO, of course.

I also have a hard time getting too pissed at CZ because we are probably their only client with such strange laws around full-auto conversion. They are so nonsensical that a slip up is unfortunate but kind of understandable. All IMHO, of course.
    Oh baloney. These aren't just screws that were ordered and imported. Lots of laws and regs.

You would think that our laws being what they are surrounding CA/auto/semi, etc, that CZ would have/should have been told whats acceptable, and what isn't. Was the ordering as simple as "we want 10,000 CZ858 semi autos"? I don't think so. I mean, I would think they would have been told whats acceptable, and what is not in terms of manufacture, and legal requirements for import and classification. Now, on what end these changes happened, or how it happened, who knows. Plus, being their only client that has laws like this (as you put it), you would think they would have been made aware of all of this, seeing as this type rifle(variant) was/is a military rifle that was/is full auto-semi auto.

All IMHO, of course.
    Crazy......but that's how it goes.

Who knows indeed. I'm choosing to give them the benefit of the doubt and will greatly enjoy my CZ958 when it becomes available. I understand if others choose not to.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
    I think he's refering to CZ screwing people out of their guns by using converted auto receivers and he's not willing to line their pockets with more money until they fix it by sending everyone all new receivers.
    Perhaps I am out of touch with the in's and out's of the contractural agreement that CZ had with the importer of these rifles, but what you guys are saying is that CZ knew all along what could and couldn't be sold to the Canadian importer regarding the manufacturing/origin of the said receiver.

If that's the case, I would like to see written proof of it, simply because I like to see things in writing, actual facts - and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here that you are 100% correct - but having something to refer too other than he said she said is a good thing.