Page 1 of 17 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Cz958 Review, Accuracy, and Status

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar

Cz958 Review, Accuracy, and Status

I've had one of these in the safe and on the range for the past few weeks. Wolverine has it back now. Here's some pretty pictures and derpy words about it...

The 958 weighs in at 6 lbs 11 oz in its factory configuration with an empty magazine. By the time I'd put optics and some more ergonomic furniture on mine I was up to 9 lbs 11 oz. Using a Timney Trigger scale I got a consistent pull just over 6lbs with a bit of creep to it. The rifle ships with a full 19 inch non-chromelined barrel. No restricted variants of the 958 are currently planned.

The non-chromed barrel is both a blessing and a curse, as it apparently produces better accuracy, but will require more detailed cleaning after shooting corrosive surplus ammunition. Wolverine has made it very clear that a chrome lined barrel isn't part of the initial offering, and could be several years off. Apparently the back-orders are quite deep in Czech Republic, and that additional process will certainly affect the retail price. Currently Wolverine is expecting the 958 to be under $1000, but likely higher than the original 858s, which at one point had a $600 price tag.

(Click for big, is the rule on all these photos)

What's Different?

This new rifle is a joint project between Wolverine Supplies in Virden Manitoba and Česká zbrojovka in the city of Uherský Brod, Czech Republic. With two major additions, they've improved the rifle and tailored its design to Canadian law.

The biggest addition is a complete top rail that removes the old dust cover, ejection port, and rear sight block. Now, instead of a massive ejection port and exposed bolt, the 958 has a flattop optics rail and a more traditional ejection. The interior of the rail acts as an extra large brass deflector.

The second addition is a scalloped space around the trigger guard. This newly manufactured receiver has an improved finish, and is deeply narrowed around the trigger guard. This does improve the ergonomics for the shooter. Magazines are easier to remove, and your finger has a natural indexing point that is off the trigger. But it also serves a deeper purpose to make sure that the Cz958 can never suffer the same fate as the Cz858. We'll come back to that when we talk about classification.

Some smaller things that are kind of neat: the finish is now a nice sharp black finish, and the receiver is now squared off. That means when you attach an aftermarket stock you're not getting the slope you used to.

Over several range trips, I shot groups from a bench at 100 yards, and allowed the barrel to cool between shots. I used four and five shot groups, and did some quick calculation using the-long-family.com's Group Size Statistical Analysis. This system uses a simple model and produces an average based on multiple groups with varying numbers of shots. So although I only had a single box of Hornaday Z-Max compared to several hundred rounds of Polish surplus, the group sizes can be compared based on a 100,000 shot statistical model.

I went in to the comparison expecting Hornaday's Z-Max ammunition to be the best shooter. After all, it is the most expensive, and one of the only ballistic tip options for the caliber. But I was shocked to find the Polish surplus rounds routinely outperformed every other type of ammunition.

What's underneath that dust cover?

I'm glad you asked Jimmy...

For anyone too lazy to watch the video... As of writing, and to the best of my knowledge, the Cz958 has yet to receive an FRT after at least seven months of inspection. Of course, I cannot say for certain, because that database is not available to the public, and the lab is not exactly a "call and chat" operation.

Now before some kind loving and concerned CGN members overheat their keyboards in a race to tell me how bad and wrong I was to take this gun outdoors and shoot it, lets do a little thought experiment together...

1. We can recognize that this rifle is based of the Sa.58 platform. Whether you call it a Cz858, Vz58, FSN, Sa.58 etc, I can see the shared gas system, magazines etc.

2. We can look in at the Criminal Code's prohibited weapons order, and see that none of the models and names above are listed. So this rifle isn't 12(4) or 12(5)

3. We can run a dowel down the barrel, and measure where it hits the bolt face. This rifle has a full 19 inch barrel. So I know it is not restricted due to barrel length.

4. We can hold the trigger down, and watch as only one round is fired. We know that this is not an a 12(2) automatic rifle.

5. Now the definition of 12(3) converted automatics has been a problem in the past. I have only a base level understanding of automatic fire, but I know that it requires an extra sear and an extra disconnecter in my trigger pack, and an extra setting on my safety. I can see that my safety only has two settings, stop and go. I can also see that the areas where one might try to fit an additional sear and disconnecter are scalloped away. So even if I had the parts, had the will, and had the machining skill to reshape the receiver to accept those components, I would just end up putting holes in the gun.

Now here's the kicker...

"Firearms are classified under the Criminal Code and its supporting regulations. As such the RCMP does not have the authority to classify firearms. However, in order to fulfill its statutory role of registering firearms, the RCMP must form an opinion as to the classification of a firearm if the classification is not explicitly set out in the Criminal Code and its supporting regulations. This expert technical opinion is captured in the FRT."

-RCMP Briefing Note to Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney
    The firearm I was given met all the requirements laid out in the criminal code to be non-restricted.

So whats keeping Wolverine from importing en masse? Watch the video you lazy git! Or don't, and instead read on...

Canadian Border Services does refer to the FRT when processing the import of firearms. They can hold a shipment and request that technical opinion, even though these rifles do not need to be registered. As a result, we & Wolverine are kept waiting while the RCMP takes months doing what took me 5 minutes.

There will be a short musical break, and then I'll be back to take questions...
    Last edited by TV-PressPass; 03-12-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: i before e except after c

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Great work as always, pretty light on derpy words too.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Hopefully now the rcmp will get off their azzez and hurry up
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

I hated them. Now I lust to own one.

BANNED
    Looking forward to it! Might have to get one of these this time around.

Looks good!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar
    After all the hype, I'm a little concerned with the accuracy.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer IchBinEinSniper's Avatar
    Wow...way to purposefully drag out the classification inspection process...the RCMP need a boot in the ass for the bull$h!t shenanigans.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops666 View Post
    After all the hype, I'm a little concerned with the accuracy.
    3 MOA isn't too shabby for a 7.62x39 semi-auto IMHO. But, I did manage to squeeze out 2" groups on average with Hornady SSTs out of my chrome lined CSA (3.75x scope)

The first mod I can foresee is an aftermarket charging handle
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

CGN Regular
    Great write up! Is that barrel chrome lined...?

Page 1 of 17 12345678911 ... LastLast