Thread: Old shells still good?

Old shells still good?

Last night I was thinking about an hypothetical scenario. Say that an old, nice lady has 30+ year old shotshell from her late husband on shelves in her basement (no firearms, just the ammo). Imagine, as it's often the case, that she doesn't have a FAC/PAL.

First question, I realize that there are many factors to consider, especially humidity levels, but what are the chances that these would still fire without a problem? Would it be dangerous to do so or would they simply not fire if damaged by humidity?

Second question, it would be perfectly legal, as a PAL owner, to get them from her, correct?

Third question, if they do not fire correctly, how do I properly dispose of them?

I ask because it's not that uncommon to see these at old ladies' garage sales once in a while. Often for dirt cheap (or free if they are trying to get rid of them).
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." -- Townsend Whelen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    There is usually no problem at all with old ammo, Ive fired lots of old shotshells, and cartridges. Most a lot older than thirty years.
    Also as a pal holder there is no problem accepting the ammo. if you have some dud rounds, either pull the bullet, and dump the powder on the lawn, or take them to a range and drop them in the dud box.

Provided it isn't black powder, cordite, or anything else other than nitrocellulose, I would give it a look over for any swelling or corrosion and try one.

Nothing wrong with buying them if you are licensed to possess them. Our hypothetical little old lady isn't sitting on flechette rounds or other prohibited ammunition, I would assume. Watch out for prohibited calibers - there used to be a lot of .32 pistols around. Been there, seen that.

Disposing of them: for just one, I usually bury them in deep, damp ground and let corrosion do the rest. If you aren't blessed with the space, dud boxes and open water are your friends.
    Last edited by oneadam12; 03-12-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added disposal and purchase

BANNED
    The powder makes good fertilizer.. bury the rest

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oneadam12 View Post
    Provided it isn't black powder, cordite, or anything else other than nitrocellulose, I would give it a look over for any swelling or corrosion and try one.

Nothing wrong with buying them if you are licensed to possess them. Our hypothetical little old lady isn't sitting on flechette rounds or other prohibited ammunition, I would assume. Watch out for prohibited calibers - there used to be a lot of .32 pistols around. Been there, seen that.

Disposing of them: for just one, I usually bury them in deep, damp ground and let corrosion do the rest. If you aren't blessed with the space, dud boxes and open water are your friends.
    The prohibited calibers only apply to the handguns that shoot them the ammo itself is perfectly legal. There are rifles out there that shoot 32 ACP. Its also legal to possess ammo without a PAL. It is just illegal to buy it or to sell it to someone who lacks a PAL.

I would assume the ammo is fine to shoot unless it has gotten wet or been soaked in oil. I mean all that surplus guys are shooting is at minimum 30 years old.
    Last edited by KRJ; 03-13-2015 at 01:59 AM.

I have some Imperial .410 and 12g shells that were my Dad's and are probably older than me (47)
    Some of the .410's are the super cool purple paper shells.
    They go bang every time.

Awesome, guys. I'll keep my eyes open for garage sales then.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." -- Townsend Whelen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I use 42 year old 7.62x54r to make .303 British... goes bang every time.

As stated before, as long as its new enough to not be using Cordite or anything else ridiculous, you should be fine. Some of that old stuff can degrade into nitroglycerin and blow up in your face, and then you're gonna have a bad time.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I saw some surplus ammo the other day for sale date marked 1953 so I guess that 30 years old is still good.

You can legally receive them no problem. Check that he shells are not corroded. I had a cat pee in my bag which had 2 boxes of 3 1/2 mag shells and they got corroded . Some parts turned like green rust and jammed in my gun and the smell too. I though the lady might have cats.