Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Will Marstar ever restock the Yugoslavian SKS rifles?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fraserdw's Avatar
    Open source int says that Croatia and Bosnia have 20 or 30 thousand Yugo SKSs in reserve.
    Recovering soldier, 34 years. For 34 years I have apparently served a tyranny, the Canadian people have my apologies. Had I only known......

"I enforced the law as written. It was not for me to determine to morality of hostage executions, confiscation of property or the deportations. It was German law and I was a German policeman." Detective Sgt Heorgen, Koln. Trial statement 1947.

The only appeal to me is the grenade launcher ability.

Quote Originally Posted by fraserdw View Post
    Open source int says that Croatia and Bosnia have 20 or 30 thousand Yugo SKSs in reserve.

Right, but that doesn't nessisarily mean they will be put up for sale... war storage for reservists, probably.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inthehizzy View Post
    Agreed. Lipstick on a pig. It'll always be just an SKS.
    Yet look at what people pay for russian Mosin Nagant snipers.

I have a hard time believing a mosin sniper bolt action is worth more than a semi auto built by the same factories.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Regular
    You can say what you like about SKS rifles. But the Yugo is the cadilac of the brand. I have a mint unfired Yugo M59/66 A1 and it is an extremely nicley made rifle. I paid around $600 for it a couple years ago and thought I would regret it. There is no way you could reproduce this quality of rifle for $600 period. Once you actually hold one in person to get an appreciation for its quality compared to the million SKS's on the market. I have 5 others including 2 Chinese M's nothing made like the Yugo.

These rifles in my opinion will maintain there value to same level or higher than an SKS D. There was not millions made but I think around 700,000 were produced I am not sure how many made it to Canada maybe 10-20K and most but I really do not know other than I have never held another real one in person.

Also SKS have to be one of the most reliable for the price. Does not shoot 1 or 2 MOA but it fires every time does not jam and can be loaded fast with strippers. I will admit I never shoot my SKS's anymore due other guns I like to shoot more but I will always have several of them.

Just my 2 cents on the Yugo rifles fine examples of a very reliable and simple firearm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    "The Cadillac of the brand"
    It's still a souped up Lada in the long run, putting fins and spoilers on it doesn't make it a Cadillac.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny Fenn1 View Post
    It's still a souped up Lada in the long run, putting fins and spoilers on it doesn't make it a Cadillac.
    So what is up about the SKS that makes it a "cheap" design? Volume? Accuracy? Ergonomics?

The Valmet line is the Cadillac of the AK world, even in the US where the classification we have here doesn't matter. Yet their are still cheap AKs. Are valmets souped up Ladas?
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    Without being a SKS shooter, i always loved the rifle style, over the years, always bought some to keep as trophys... Those 2 X 59-66 with the tiger stripe stock i got from Marstar ( 2006) at 329.00 a piece are keepers for their beauty, they only are SKS but 5 or 6 times a years i recieve mail from someone who would love to buy them from me... JP.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny Fenn1 View Post
    I dont disagree with your opinion but you have to appreciate the history of the rifle and how Yogoslavia took this simple rifle during a time of unrest and created a very good quality rifle that oddly had a Nato standard grenade launcher which to me seems very strange.

If you have a hate for the SKS then you will never appreciate what is involved to make one. Everyone has an opinion and they certainly not my go to rifle but if zombies come I can assure you it will be beside my others in the line up!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    So what is up about the SKS that makes it a "cheap" design? Volume? Accuracy? Ergonomics?

The Valmet line is the Cadillac of the AK world, even in the US where the classification we have here doesn't matter. Yet their are still cheap AKs. Are valmets souped up Ladas?
    I am no expert but I think they were over engineered so no need for fine tuning of the gas system. Once they had tooling in place they were produced on a massive scale and because they were over engineered they were not blowing up on the battle field and super easy to maintain hence why so many govermments liked them. Also cheap labour for production.